SSD replacement question

jfassiano

Dec 5, 2020
Hi guys, although my server configuration is very "homy" I have a questions regarding SSD. Yes, it's a consumer SSD, we're a small company in Argentina, USD dollars scarce here, we buy the stuff we can afford.

The thing is that my disk have the "wear out" parameter in 10%, which means the SSD it's in 90% of life cycle, right?

1607171286424.png

The questions:

1) When should I replace this drive? Is there any good practice?

2) Suppose I have two SSD using ZFS and RAID Z1 and I want to replace one disk, should I turn off the server, change one disk then turn on and ZFS will restore the RAID Z1 with the new disk? :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Hi guys, although my server configuration is very "homy" I have a questions regarding SSD. Yes, it's a consumer SSD, we're a small company in Argentina, USD dollars scarce here, we buy the stuff we can afford.
You can buy second hand enterprise grade SSDs. Cheaper and will last longer then new consumer SSDs.
The thing is that my disk have the "wear out" parameter in 10%, which means the SSD it's in 90% of life cycle, right?
Proxmox interpretes the SMART attributes. Normally 10% means you got 90% of life left. But to be sure you should check the SMART attributes and google how to interprete them for your SSD model. SMART isn't standardized so it could always be possible that Proxmox shows you wrong number. This was the case if you upgraded from 6.2 to 6.3 and the wear out changed from 90% to 10% over night. Some SSD model reverse the wear indicator.
View attachment 21763

The questions:

1) When should I replace this drive? Is there any good practice?
If you use that Proxmox server in production you really should use mirrored SSDs and keep a spare at hand so you can instantly replace the failed SSD with the new one without loosing any data.
2) Suppose I have two SSD using ZFS and RAID Z1 and I want to replace one disk, should I turn off the server, change one disk then turn on and ZFS will restore the RAID Z1 with the new disk?
You need atleast 3 SSDs for raidz1 (thats like raid5) and 2 SSDs for a mirror (thats like raid1). Check if your controller supports hot-pluging. Then it should be fine to change the drives while running. If the ZFS pool is your boot drive you need to do several stuff like cloning the disk layout and writing a new bootloader. Look there the part starting with "Changing a failed bootable device".

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!