[solved] deleted directories reappear shortly

seron

Feb 5, 2014
While troubleshooting failure to mount ZFS file systems I noticed that deleted mountpoint directory trees reappear within a few seconds, which I guess is the reason that zfs reports "cannot mount '/tank': directory is not empty".

Removing the mountpoints with "rm -fr" completes without errors, but within a few seconds the whole directory subtree reappears. Moving them makes the original appear all the same.

I've never seen this behaviour before. These mountpoints don't appear in the output from the mount command.

I tried to eliminate ZFS from this problem by running its init.d scrips with 'stop' and unloading its kernel modules, so that 'ps ax' doesn't list it.

What could be causing this?

Proxmox 3.1-24

Last edited:
Re: deleted directories reappear shortly

is it defined as cluster storage? afaik, pve will try to create missing mount points...

Marco

No cluster yet. Just one lab node. I noticed just now that if the storage is disabled in the GUI the directories won't persist any more. I guess that zfs needs to mount its file systems before pve has a chance to recreate the directory trees. I'm not sure how though.

yes, i meant "defined as datacenter storage". I guess pve expects that to exist for an enabled storage

Marco

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!