[Solved] Creating OpenVZ Appliances / Template of existing Ubuntu 14.04 installation

cmonty14

Mar 4, 2014
Hello! I want to get a running Zentyal 4.1 installation, that is based on Ubuntu 14.04, in OpenVZ. My understanding is that I cannot simply install Zentyal 4.1 from ISO in OpenVZ. Therefore I consider to migrate an installation in a Virtual Machine with KVM to OpenVZ. Question: Is it "that simple" to create an OpenVZ appliance using DAB) as indicated in this thread? Does this meant I should install DAB and all its dependencies in the KVM installation and create the appliance using DAB in there? Or is it rather advisable to do a Physical to container as documented here? THX

Last edited:
Re: [Q] Creating OpenVZ Appliances / Template of existing Ubuntu 14.04 installation

I highly recommend to install Zentyal as VM (qemu), you will run into a lot of issue with OpenVZ.

Re: [Q] Creating OpenVZ Appliances / Template of existing Ubuntu 14.04 installation

I highly recommend to install Zentyal as VM (qemu), you will run into a lot of issue with OpenVZ.

Ah... interesting.

Could you please shortly explain why it is not recommended?
What are potential issues I will run into?

THX

Ah... interesting.

Could you please shortly explain why it is not recommended?
What are potential issues I will run into?

THX

Zentyal is not OpenVZ aware and almost the whole Zentyal community runs of hardware (or full virtualization). So if you have issues, most time the answer will be: Zentyal on OpenVZ is not supported.

And maybe the most important point: OpenVZ is not available for kernels later 2.6.32.

Thanks.

This is a fair statement.
I will close the thread accordingly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!