Snapshots do not work?

admoore

Jan 14, 2013
I'm evaluating proxmox for use at my organization; I installed it on a spare workstation, pretty much stuck with defaults through the install, and got it working ok. I created several VMs also using defaults for the most part.

When I try to take a snapshot, I just get an error telling me it can't create the snapshot.

I've grepped through the logs looking for more details, since I've seen on here that others have gotten errors due to space issues or using weirdo disk formats, but there is no more information available in the logs about it. Just one single error like this whenever I try:

Code:
Jan 14 14:22:27 proxmox pvedaemon[72440]: can't snapshot volume 'local:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw'

As you can see, this disk image uses the (default) raw format; is qcow2 required for snapshots? If not, what am I missing?

post the output of 'pvdisplay'

Code:
root@proxmox:~# pvdisplay
  --- Physical volume ---
  PV Name               /dev/sda2
  VG Name               pve
  PV Size               232.39 GiB / not usable 3.00 MiB
  Allocatable           yes 
  PE Size               4.00 MiB
  Total PE              59490
  Free PE               4095
  Allocated PE          55395
  PV UUID               GxBZ1V-CnjM-Xrzq-UUrQ-Wayh-mBpY-p6e1zU

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm evaluating proxmox for use at my organization; I installed it on a spare workstation, pretty much stuck with defaults through the install, and got it working ok. I created several VMs also using defaults for the most part.

When I try to take a snapshot, I just get an error telling me it can't create the snapshot.

I've grepped through the logs looking for more details, since I've seen on here that others have gotten errors due to space issues or using weirdo disk formats, but there is no more information available in the logs about it. Just one single error like this whenever I try:

Code:
Jan 14 14:22:27 proxmox pvedaemon[72440]: can't snapshot volume 'local:100/vm-100-disk-1.raw'

As you can see, this disk image uses the (default) raw format; is qcow2 required for snapshots? If not, what am I missing?

Proxmox use Internal snapshots, so yes, qcow2 is required

Thanks; I don't know where to go to report bugs, but it seems like this reality should be a bit more readily apparent in the interface; or at the very least, the error should be more informative.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!