[solved] snapshot@vm - question - RAM / no RAM

HenryTheTech

May 20, 2018
Hello,
Ver 6.3-3

I am curious about snapshots of my ubuntu vm: When I create snapshots with RAM enabled, there is automatically an entry for a ZFS dataset of 21.1 GB added - regardless of filesystem changess.

Code:
hmir/data/vm                              194G   953G       96K  /hmir/data/vm
hmir/data/vm/vm-200-disk-0                131G  1004G     45.2G  -
hmir/data/vm/vm-200-state-docker         21.1G   972G     2.12G  -
hmir/data/vm/vm-200-state-fresh_noadmin  21.1G   968G     5.97G  -
hmir/data/vm/vm-200-state-portainer      21.1G   972G     2.32G  -

However, if I add 20GB of data, then take a new snapshot with no RAM enabled, this list doesn't change at all and I cannot see where the extra data has been added in the new snapshot.

Simple question: Where can I see the snapshot data when no RAM is selected? (aside from the PVE gui)

Thanks

Last edited:
Just use zfs list. "REFER" is the size of the VMs/LCXs data only and "USED" is the size incl. all snapshots.
If you enable RAM it will dump the content of your RAM and safe it as a new block device so you can rollback to a running state. If you snapshot without dumping the RAM and you will do a rollback, it will be as if the LXC/VM encountered a power outage and crashed.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!