Snapshot taken. How to restore?

BlueMoon

May 29, 2016
Hello,
Greeting from new member :)

I'm running Proxmox 4.2 HA. I'm taking live snaphot from all of the running KVM from the GUI. The result is vzdump-qemu-kvmid*.vmz.lzo. I'm using qcow2.

How to test or verify that the backup file is fine or not?
I would like to test restore but this is a production server so I dont want to mess with it (same ID, same ip address on the same production server). I'm thinking to download the backup file to my local PC, but my local PC has no Proxmox and also I have a pretty slow connection here to download few GBs file.

It's not funny to have a backup but when we need it, we found that it can't be restored or restored sucessfully but can't boot.

Hello,
Greeting from new member :)

I'm running Proxmox 4.2 HA. I'm taking live snaphot from all of the running KVM from the GUI. The result is vzdump-qemu-kvmid*.vmz.lzo. I'm using qcow2.

You are creating a live snapshot backup not, live snapshots - see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Live_Snapshots

You can restore the backup to another VMID, why not? But before powering on for testing the restore, disable the NIC (e.g. virtually disconnect)

And you should think again about your backup/disaster recovery strategy. Seems you store the backup on the same place as the VM images? Probably there is room for improvements (hint: store the backups on another server, e.g. NFS or offsite)

You are creating a live snapshot backup not, live snapshots - see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Live_Snapshots

Hello, Tom.
Thank you for point this out. Yes, live snapshot backup is what I need.

You can restore the backup to another VMID, why not? But before powering on for testing the restore, disable the NIC (e.g. virtually disconnect)

With your information, I managed to restore it. It works great. Amazing!

And you should think again about your backup/disaster recovery strategy. Seems you store the backup on the same place as the VM images? Probably there is room for improvements (hint: store the backups on another server, e.g. NFS or offsite)

Yes, I'm aware of this. Thanks, Tom!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!