Snapshot backup kills KVM VM

frantek

Renowned Member
May 30, 2009
Hi,

I've some hosts where a single KVM VM of N gets killed while snapshot backup and so the backup fails. For all other KVM VMs the backups work as expected. It is allays the same VM on each host which crashes while backup. The VMs are completely different - it is not the same VM on all hosts. The problem KVM VMs run Debian 6, 7 and 8 releases. One Debian 8 some time just stops during normal operation. Sometimes they survive the backup. The problem hosts run Proxmox 3.x.

How to debug this and what may be the reason for the crashes?

TIA

Hello, since applying the latest 4.4 - Updates I have the same problem here. 6 of 8 VM are killed during backup. Two, for what reason ever survive.

I do not have any idea what is happening. The logs do not show anything pointing to a problem....only seeing that oom-killer is triggered during backup.
ksmtuned invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x26000c0, order=2, oom_score_adj=0

But there is a lot of memory available. Does anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks and greetings

Chris

Hello Fabian,
after three days of testing I have discovered that according to your referenced posting both settings must be set to take any effect:
vm.swappiness = 1
vm.min_free_kbytes = 262144

Nevertheless tonight one VM was stopped by oom-killer:
Jan 7 05:50:00 pve1 kernel: [412142.839504] kvm invoked oom-killer: gfp_mask=0x26000c0, order=2, oom_score_adj=0

Anything else to do to have all machines surviving the backup?

Thanks and best greetings

Chris

Hi,

today two machines died during backup. Any further actions to taken?

Thank you and greetings
Christ

Hi,

today two machines died during backup. Any further actions to taken?

Thank you and greetings
Christ

did you install the new kernel and reboot?

Hi,

not rebooted yet. But I have not seen that the new kernel addresses oom-killer errors.

I have scheduled the reboot for tonight. Lets see whats happening.

Greetings
Chris

Hi,

not rebooted yet. But I have not seen that the new kernel addresses oom-killer errors.

I have scheduled the reboot for tonight. Lets see whats happening.

Greetings
Chris

you have to reboot for the new kernel to run.. "uname -a" should report 4.4.35-2-pve, built on January 9th

Hi,

a short update: Still no oom-killer issues with the new kernel. Seems that the problem is now solved. Thank you for your support.

Best greetings

Chris

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!