smartd false positive SSD CurrentPendingSector?

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by jermudgeon, Jun 15, 2018 at 01:32.

1. jermudgeon

jermudgeon New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

Since April 30, I've gotten 7 warning emails from one host, 5 from another, and 2 from another;

each email claims there is 1 CurrentPendingSector failed; that is, currently unreadable (pending).

On each host, it's the same type of drive, a CT1000MX500SSD1 (Crucial 1TB)

Running smartctl manually shows *no* sectors failed.

systemctl status shows info like this:
    Jun 13 21:29:19 pm2 smartd[1196]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
    Jun 14 00:29:18 pm2 smartd[1196]: Device: /dev/sda [SAT], No more Currently unreadable (pending) sectors, warning condition reset after 1 email

Does this imply that the drives are actually kicking up errors but fixing them? (I thought SSDs did that silently, until wearout, with a different SMART attribute indicating percentage.)

It doesn't appear to be service impacting, but I'm not finding good info via Google.

Has anybody else seen this, or is this an obvious question for Crucial?

2. Andrew Hart

Andrew Hart Member

At least with the newest INTEL ssd drives Pending Sector no longer means the same thing. It is used to indicate that a block will be re-mapped soon, (as far as I can tell.)
    On hdd it always meant that a sector could not be read and the drive is hoping that you write to it so that it can be re-mapped. (Also, as far as I know.)

3. jermudgeon

jermudgeon New Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

Thanks, Andrew. That makes sense.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice