Slow network in VM or Container with Realtek USB 8153 adapter

Kevo

May 7, 2017
I have added a USB 3 Realtek 8153 adapter to my system to get a second ethernet port to test with on my home server. While the adapter works well with Proxmox/Debian 9 itself, performance in a container or VM is quite slow comparatively.

I can SCP a file to the Proxmox OS at about 115MB/s. This is pretty much exactly what I get with the built in ethernet port on the motherboard. The problem comes when I assign the bridge interface to a VM or Container. In the VM or container I only get about 10-12MB/s.

I am not sure where to start with troubleshooting this. I thought that instead of a VM a Debian 9 container would give full speed, but it was also similarly slow.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I should go about troubleshooting or changing the config to make this work properly when used in a VM or container?

TIA

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!