[SOLVED] Slow LVM (over dm-crypt, over iSCSI) metadata operations

danielb

Renowned Member
Jun 1, 2018
Bordeaux (france)
Hi.

I'm running a 3 nodes cluster, running latest PVE 5.2. As storage, I use iSCSI, but, as I don't fully trust the storage operators, I've added a dm-crypt layer. And on top of this dm-crypt, I've created an LVM VG which is shared on all node, and used as LVM storage. So, for every node, it's like

iscsi <-> dm-crypt <-> LVM VG

(on every boot of a node I simply manually unlock the storage using dm-crypt before LVM is seen as available in PVE)

Everything works nicely, I can live migrate etc...

Except that, sometime, LVM metadata operations are painfuly slow on some of the nodes (not always the same node). Eg, if I move a disk from one storage to another, it can takes several minutes to create the LV on the dest storage. Once this is done though, the transfert speed is OK. Same for live migration, starting the VM on the dest node can take several minutes (I guess it's hanging on activating the LV). And once migration is over, performance in the VM is normal. How could I debug this ? Anyone else has this kind of problem ?

Hello Daniel,

Some thoughts; )

- you must have the same block size for all storage path (iscsi, dmcrypt, lvm) - you can check with gdisk
- you must check if you have hardware cpu AES support activated on each PMX node
- also check if your partitions/lvm are proper align using a size that is integer multiple of the same block size

Good luck.

Thanks for your tips. Looks my issue is on the network. After disabling jumbo frames the random latency seems to disapear. I'll ask my hoster to have a look at this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!