signed SSL certificates

ods

Nov 28, 2011
Hi,
in Proxmox VE 2.* I just had to open the apache2 virtualhost and add my trusted certificates. In PVE 3.0 apache2 was replaced with pveproxy and I can't find the configuration files.
I know the SSL Key that is being used is located at /etc/pve/NODE/pve-ssl.key, but replacing something like this broke things in 2.0.
So what do I do with the SSL Key, the crt and the CA Chain files in PVE 3.0?

It seems there's no configuration files for pveproxy. All options are inside pveproxy itself. And as I can see it cannot understand neither something like SSLCertificateChainFile like apache nor several certificates in one file like nginx. Looks like missing feature to me.

I have the same problem ...
can not find a configuration file.
How can I intigrieren a StartSSL Certificate for in pveproxy?
Thanks for the help

nano /usr/bin/pveproxy

ssl => {
key_file => '/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.key',
cert_file => '/etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem',
},

Last edited:
If you replace the pve certificates with your own you will not be able to use the java console since these certificates are hardcoded into the java plugin.

I have tried many times doing this in pve-2.x but never succeeded. If I changed the webservers certificates then I was not able to start the java console since the applet loader refused to start the applet since the applet was signed with a different certificate than the certificate presented by the webserver.

Maybe, but then something else is wrong. The security policy in java plugins changes repeatedly with every new catastrophic bug found and if I remember correct you are no more allowed to run signet applets unless the webserver and applet certificate are identical. I have been posted the error message to this list a couple of times but I am willing to test once again with the new pveproxy. Only thing with pveproxy is that since pveproxy does not support intermediate certificates so I doubt the result will be successful.

The idea is that you can overwrite the certificates (do not change the path).
If I just replace them my browser will not show that I'm using a secure connection as long as I don't add the intermediate certificates

Maybe, but then something else is wrong. The security policy in java plugins changes repeatedly with every new catastrophic bug found and if I remember correct you are no more allowed to run signet applets unless the webserver and applet certificate are identical. I have been posted the error message to this list a couple of times but I am willing to test once again with the new pveproxy. Only thing with pveproxy is that since pveproxy does not support intermediate certificates so I doubt the result will be successful.

Ok, I played around a little
It looks like it is enough to paste the intermediate crt directly under the server crt into the /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem
Now I only have to test if the java applet is still working.

Ok, I played around a little
It looks like it is enough to paste the intermediate crt directly under the server crt into the /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem
Now I only have to test if the java applet is still working.
Yes, it worked for me. That's odd but when filename of certificate bundle is different from /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem pveproxy doesn't respond at all, just gives timeout.

Update:
Following things will work:
1) replace the SSL crt files and the browser will show a secure connection
2) change the SSL paths in /usr/bin/pveproxy and the browser will show a secure connection
Following things won't work:
- The Java console applet won't work with either of the solutions above.

I reverted all of my changes and now pveproxy won't start again with this error:
pveproxy[3204]: /etc/pve/local/pve-ssl.pem: failed to use local certificate chain (cert_file or cert) at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/HTTPServer.pm line 1125

properly implemented SSL is an absolute essential feature. It's just unacceptable for me to accept a certificate that is not signed by a trusted party.

It's just unacceptable for me to accept a certificate that is not signed by a trusted party.
you might want to reconsider that. theres absolutely zero increased security in "professionally" signed certs via self-signed ones, especially with CAs being hacked left and right nowadays. Its actually the other way around in such a way that having a list of auto-trusted CAs in your (operating) system is actually a vulnerability and not a security feature anymore.

you might want to reconsider that. theres absolutely zero increased security in "professionally" signed certs via self-signed ones, especially with CAs being hacked left and right nowadays. Its actually the other way around in such a way that having a list of auto-trusted CAs in your (operating) system is actually a vulnerability and not a security feature anymore.

I wrote "trusted party". This does not necessarily has to be a professional CA.
I know the whole x.509 system isn't perfect, but in the end I prefer the list of preinstalled certificates over not knowing if the server is really who he says he is.

Even if I would sign my own certificates, there's no way I know of to add these into proxmox ve.

Even if I would sign my own certificates, there's no way I know of to add these into proxmox ve.

For that case you just need to replace the cluster key/cert (/etc/pve/priv/pve-root-ca.key and /etc/pve/pve-root-ca.pem).

The node certificates can then be issued by 'pvecm updatecerts --force'

i updated the certs to my purchased ssl, while the interface now works with no self-signed errors, the java applet doesnt work

also tried the instructions at http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/HTTPSCertificateConfiguration for the /etc/pve certs not just /etc/pve/local

i'm getting the following error when trying to load the console java applet after both attempts:

Code:
Error: TLS handshake failed javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateException: cert path too long

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!