Shared storage between CTs without bind mounts to have VE Snapshots?

davidg1982

May 26, 2017
Chicago, Illinois USA
I've been reading through the wiki and the various posts, but I am beginning to have the distinct understanding that having sharing files/folders between CTs in unprivileged containers without bind mounts is not something that is available?

I am currently running two ZFS pools and I have a number of CTs that are sharing files/folders between them via bind mounts, but I would like to be able to do VE snapshots. That isn't possible when you are utilizing bind mounts. So, the question is, how do get away from bind mounts for shared files/folders but get VE snapshots?

Hi,
this is not possible.
But you can make the snapshot on Filesystem level if the FS support it.

That isn't possible when you are utilizing bind mounts. So, the question is, how do get away from bind mounts for shared files/folders but get VE snapshots?

You can use manual bind mounts, so that PVE thinks that there are none or snapshot by yourself on ZFS-level if you only case about data snapshot, not configuration snapshots. I'd always recommend the latter with ZFS, I use it everywhere.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!