share files between virtual machines

orsidoz

Mar 2, 2018
Hi,

To share a folder between virtual machines I have some questions:

1. How should I share folders between virtual machines?
  • Install NFS-server on Proxmox main host?
  • Install NFS-server on a LXC container?
  • Install NFS-server on a KVM based machine
  • Mount a folder with Bind Mount to a LXC container then share the folder with NFS to other virtual machines?

2. how should I config network to have a connection between virtual machines? only a private IP in the same subnet on all virtual machine is enough?

Sorry for my poor english.
Thanks for replies!

Here's few thing to keep in mind. Hope it's usefull :

- If you are looking to have your nfs server in a container you might need to tweak it's settings. Personally, to keep future maintenance simple I would not. Have a look at this thread for more details why:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/is-it-possible-to-run-a-nfs-server-within-a-lxc.24403/

- Have a KVM as a NFS fileserver also have downsides:
- You will have to make sure your fileserver is up and running before all your other VMs (easy)
- You will have some IO overhead (virtio should help)
- You are creating 1 aditionnal potential single point for failure to all your VMs (was also the case for a container).
- To investigate : I never tried, but you might have a performance problem if you also want to use zfs in your VM since you'll be doing zfs in a zfs volume.

I have running NFS on PVE host for many years. Without problems. But a permissionbut in kernel 4.13, so use 4.10 on pve.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!