Setup with DRBD: won't able to do migration (either live or not)

achekalin

Jun 17, 2011
Hello,

I'm a bit newbie in DRBD-backed cluster config, and face pretty strange behaviour of cluster that is build strictly by manual:

I set up two identical machines (these are desktop PCs, I took them for test purpose, but the hardware is good so I believe It should work with no problem):

- Phenom II X4
- 8 Gb of RAM
- 1 x 500 Gb HDD (Proxmox, iso storage)
- 1 x 1000 Gb HDD (KVM images storage)
- 2 x NICs (one is built-in, and another one is PCI 1 Gig card by D-Link)

So I installed Proxmox on both PCs, set up different IPs and hostnames, set up cluster as per this page, set up DRBD as per this page on 1 Tb disks (and allowed it to sync; it is seen as onetb LVM volume, that is named after 'one TB').

Now I set up VM (KVM, FreeNAS i386 8.0 instance in it, just to test), it run perfectly on 1st host. But as I try to 'migrate' it to 2nd host, the VM stops and log reads:

/usr/sbin/qmigrate --online 192.168.161.59 101
Jun 17 17:42:35 starting migration of VM 101 to host '192.168.161.59'
Jun 17 17:42:35 copying disk images
Jun 17 17:42:35 starting VM on remote host '192.168.161.59'
device-mapper: create ioctl failed: Device or resource busy
command '/sbin/lvchange -aly /dev/drbdvg/vm-101-disk-1' failed with exit code 5
volume 'onetb:vm-101-disk-1' does not exist
Jun 17 17:42:36 online migrate failure - command '/usr/bin/ssh -c blowfish -o BatchMode=yes root@192.168.161.59 /usr/sbin/qm --skiplock start 101 --incoming tcp' failed with exit code 2
Jun 17 17:42:36 migration finished with problems (duration 00:00:01)
VM 101 migration failed -

The line volume 'onetb:vm-101-disk-1' does not exist makes me nervios, as I see this onetb both on 1st and 2nd host admin interface. Looks like I need to somehow 'attach' or 'mount' onetb on host 2, but the admin page says it is already seen by system.

When I set up VM on 1st host, I see traffic on NIC that connects to 2nd host = looks like sync is working well.

Strange. May I ask you for the help on this? The wiki won't help me at this point, and I see pretty few info on such a case (DRBD + Proxmox + migration).

Thank you in advance for your time to help newbie such as me, the case is really serious for me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!