setup open vswitch

Airidas

Jul 31, 2014
Hello guys,

I'm new in openvswitch. Please help me set up openvswitch.

I have 1 host with 2 physical network adapters and 3 virtual machines.
Now network setup is:
bond0 type=linux bond port/slaves=eth0 eth1 no IP address
vmbr0 type=linux bridge port/slaves=bond0 IP address=192.168.1.12

Virtual machines should communicate each other through virtual switch and communicate with real network.

How to configure the network?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Hello Airidas

1. install openvswitch - important: /etc/apt/sources.list must contain "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian wheezy pvetest" - by

Code:
apt-get install openvswitch-switch

Following steps by WEB-GUI:

2. If you continue using existing physical NICs at host and IP address: remove IP-address and ports from vmbr0

3. create an ovs bridge e.g. vmbr1(no ports for the moment) and assign the desired IP address, probably 192.168.1.12, activate autostart too

4. create an ovs bond with slaves eth0 eth1 (I suppose) and select as bridge vmbr1

5. assign the virtual NICs in the VMs to vmbr1

6. reboot

You can verify after reboot the proper configuration by

Code:
ovs-vsctl show

should show your configuration (bridge, ports), version must be 2.0.90 or higher

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Last edited:
2. If you continue using existing physical NICs at host and IP address: remove IP-address and ports from vmbr0
3. create an ovs bridge e.g. vmbr1(no ports for the moment) and assign the desired IP address, probably 192.168.1.12, activate autostart too
4. create an ovs bond with slaves eth0 eth1 (I suppose) and select as bridge vmbr1
5. assign the virtual NICs in the VMs to vmbr1
6. reboot
could you please explain why doing a ovs bridge first and then a ovs bond.

woulden't be enough to do a ovs bond and add the eth0 and eth1?

Thanks for your teaching
have a nice day
vinc

could you please explain why doing a ovs bridge first and then a ovs bond.

woulden't be enough to do a ovs bond and add the eth0 and eth1?

When I make in WEB-GUI "Create" -> "OVS Bond" the field "OVS Bridge" is obligatory. That means the OVS Bridge has to be configured first.

I didn´t think to much why - because it wasn´t a problem for me to follow this. Note: In real life both is set up at the same time - in fact after the next reboot (or manual change of /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/init.d/networking restart)

Mr. Holms
i tryed and seems to work
:~# ovs-vsctl show
39a05a68-ac9d-4695-ae00-6520ac1ba018
Bridge "vmbr1"
Port "bond0"
Interface "eth1"
Interface "eth0"
Port "vmbr1"
Interface "vmbr1"
type: internal
ovs_version: "2.0.90"
on Point3 i added a 192.168.14.12, 255.255.255.0, 192.168.14.1 (IP; Subnetmask, Gateway) too. Hope this is correct

have a nice day
vincent

Basicly it would work....
But as soon i upload the IOS a got a slow connection, if i do deconnect a link it go fast.
I Belive the Problem is not to be able to configure the ports of my cisco rv016 and FritzBox.
have a nice day
vincent

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!