Setting up Share NFS on Deb 5.0

RAFU

Apr 18, 2011
Belgium
Hello people !

I'm quite a newbie on Linux, had to start a week ago to use it, so, forgive me if I ask some dumbs questions ;) But after hours of researches, i'm giving up...

So, I installed Proxmox 1.8 last week, and my job was to create a share NFS server to simulate a network backup fo the VM.

I already have my 2 VM, one is called DebianData and the other one Debian. The proxmox backup tool should make an image of the Debian's VM on DebianData. For that, I used to follow theses steps (in french, I'm belgian). Quickly, it explain to create a "backup" folder in the machine, then create a new job of backup. Already tried but nothing was working.. Not a single file in the Backup folder, no e-mail notifications, etc. Well, ok. Anyway I should use my backup in another computer, so let's try, I'll be back in the backup folder later to check what's wrong.

So here I am. I read somewhere that I should use exclusively a NFS shares for that. Then, I created my DebianData VM. Installed the webmin, and looked after that NFS share server. I've found some interesting stuff, but no one was working. :confused:

The last thing now was that error while I used to create my NFS this way :
Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel. (warning).
After some researches, I found that post (again in french, sorry :p) who seems to explain how to fix that problem in the OVH webserver. I already downloaded the kernel from OVH but... I'm quite blocked now ! :O

The /etc/lilo.conf file is invisible to me in the Webmin interface. I can't even edit it on nano or vi.

I'm sure that I'm really making it harder than it should be..
So, if someone there could help me, I would be great-full, before my bosses starts to slap me during lunch time. :p

Best regards,

RAFU

(Oh, ps : I'm using Debian 5.0 in proxmox, as the 6.0 Debian seems to still be the Beta version).

1. Do you want to install the NFS server on the host or in the Guest?
2. Do you use KVM guests or OpenVZ containers?

and post the output of 'pveversion -v'.

Thanks for your reply. :)

NFS Server must me installed in "DebianData" VM. It should contains a backup of the "Debian" VM.
As DebianData is just a VM used to test the way we should proceed in the future.

I use OpenVZ containers

The pveversion -v tells... nothing. :/

Maybe am I wrong ?

DebianData:/# pveversion -v
-bash: pveversion: command not found
DebianData:/# pveversion-v
-bash: pveversion-v: command not found
DebianData:/#

Thanks a lot for the infos Tom !

Sorry that I didn't replied earlier, but I was quite busy on other stuff than my proxmox server, I'm back in business now. ;)

apt-get install nfs-kernel-server nfs-common portmap
nano /etc/exports
/var/yoursharedfolder 10.x.x.10(sync,no_wdelay,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)

Close and save

Restart nfs server:
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart

You will be able to access your share now.
you have to add a line per server - safest (I think)

Hi, may I ask what has happened here already? I can follow you until the point where you created two individual virtual machines and named them differently; debian and debian data at that. Have you tried following the back up rules and steps presented when trying to accomplish it? Please keep me posted as I also want to know what will happen here.

Hey !

Sorry I didn't see your message.

Well, finally I find out a new solution, which was using a Seagate blackarmor NAS configured in NFS share. So I can't say anything about the initial topic... Sorry :/

Regards

apt-get install nfs-kernel-server nfs-common portmap
nano /etc/exports
/var/yoursharedfolder 10.x.x.10(sync,no_wdelay,no_subtree_check,rw,no_root_squash)

Close and save

Restart nfs server:
/etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart

You will be able to access your share now.
you have to add a line per server - safest (I think)

Is this something you could safely do on a proxmox node (outside container on the node itself)?
Or is it safer to go with the mentioned NFS3 option inside a container?

Looking for a simple way to setup a nfs directory inside the cluster for backup purposes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!