Setting up QNAP 431P for iSCSI and LVM

damon1

Apr 18, 2019
Hi All,

[SOLVED]

my first post so sorry if I am asking something obvious.

I have set up a iSCSI drive on a QNAP 431P which I can use as a 1000GB drive directly on one VM.

What I would like to do is put LVM on the drive so I can them put several VM;s on to it (thick)

When I try to add LVM it finds the iSCSI drive and the LUN but when I hit create I get this error

upload_2019-4-18_14-54-29.png

I have no idea what it means and have tried everything I can find on the WEB.

My knowledge of Linux is very very limited but if someone can explain what I am doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Damon

Last edited:
Hi,

do you use multipath?
What you get if you try this command on the shell.
pvcreate -v /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-36e843b65e844f75d2907d41d1d98b2d2

Hi Wolfgang,

thanks for the fast reply, in short I dont know what multi path is but I will google it now and get back to you ASAP.
As for the CMD here are the results, I check the scsi code about 10 times and I think it is correct

upload_2019-4-18_16-24-47.png

What you get

iscsiadm -m session

upload_2019-4-18_16-55-19.png

there are 2 QNAPS on the network but I am testing with the 431p

thanks

Hi Wolfgang,

many thanks - didn't have to read far

# apt-get update
# apt-get install multipath-tools

no reboot needed - attached the LVM to the iSCSI was easy.

you DA MAN

thanks
Damon

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!