Setting Up Proxmox intefaces for Sophos Bridge (L2) firewall

scoobyscrappy

Dec 12, 2014
Hello,

I am a newbie to Proxmox VE.

I have two on-board NICs and 1 usb (AX88178) nic which Proxmox recognizes as eth0, eth1 and eth2. As default, Proxmox sets up the management IP address on vmbr0 with bridge port eth0.

I want to create a Sophos UTM L2 (Bridge) firewall as a VM on Proxmox using all three NICs. On Sophos, the management IP address is assigned to vmbr0. When I convert all three to a bridge ethernet, I lose management connectivity to Sophos as well as Proxmox.

How should I setup the Proxmox interfaces where I can use the Proxmox management IP address on vmbr0 and setup all three interfaces on Sophos as bridge ports? I will be using eth0 port for both Proxmox and Sophos management IP addresses.

Thanks in advance.
Jeff

Hello, Jeff

I am a newbie to Proxmox VE.

I have two on-board NICs and 1 usb (AX88178) nic which Proxmox recognizes as eth0, eth1 and eth2. As default, Proxmox sets up the management IP address on vmbr0 with bridge port eth0.

I want to create a Sophos UTM L2 (Bridge) firewall as a VM on Proxmox using all three NICs. On Sophos, the management IP address is assigned to vmbr0. When I convert all three to a bridge ethernet, I lose management connectivity to Sophos as well as Proxmox.

How should I setup the Proxmox interfaces where I can use the Proxmox management IP address on vmbr0 and setup all three interfaces on Sophos as bridge ports? I will be using eth0 port for both Proxmox and Sophos management IP addresses.

Do you mean one bridge? If don´t want to have bonding (and you did not mention it) you will need three bridges; each connected to a physical NIC and assigned to one of th three VM virtual NICs too.

Can be I misunderstand something - if this is the case post a small diagram as well as /etc/network/interfaces.

Kind regards

Mr.Holmes

Hi Mr. Holmes,

Thanks for replying to my post.

I finally figured it out. I created a separate Linux bridge for all three NICs (on-board & usb) in Proxmox. I used the USB passthrough configuration so that Sophos UTM can use the USB NIC. In Sophos UTM, I created a single bridge with all three NICs.

Jeff

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!