Setting up multiple bridged networks using different OpenVPN's

abrock

Mar 20, 2017
Hey all,

I'm pretty new to Proxmox and have a question possibly a little over my head, so please bear with me.

Basically, I am using Proxmox to run a family of VM's and have them using ExpressVPN to connect to the internet via VPN.

An ExpressVPN license gives me 4 simultaneous connections, but I am hoping to connect a few more devices.

I'm thinking that setting up a network connection configured to use OpenVPN (which I can use with my ExpressVPN credentials) could be the best way to do this.

RU5YLmI.png
The above diagram could theoretically support several VM's connected via one VPN account, but I'm not sure how to implement it.

I'm wondering if it is possible to set up OvenVPN as separate network bridges, using a different VPN for each one. So all I'd have to do, is choose the appropriate Linux Bridge for the network connection, and the VM would be connected via Berkshire, for example.

I saw an article on a site called Keeward titled "How to install OpenVPN on Proxmox VE", which seemed in the right ball park, but I don't know.

do you expect your VM to be reachable from the internet with public IP adresses, or will they only be inside a NAT network ?

I would want the VMs to be able to use the internet using the VPN, yes.

VMs 1 2 and 3 would have the internet IP from ExpressVPN in Berkshire, and 4 5 and 6 have the internet IP from London.

I can't post links, but if you Google "ExpressVPN OpenVPN" it might help with what I'm trying to achieve.

Last edited:
you cannot assign the same IP adress from your VPN provider to multiple VPNs without doing reverse NAT
What you want to achieve is possible, but not trivial.

I recommend you first to setup a system with normal internet access from your ISP, and once you got that setup working switch from your ISP as upstream provider to the VPN provider

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!