set up email for notification

Kerridge0

Feb 22, 2009
Hi can anyone give me any pointers/howto on how to set up a pop3 or gmail email account so that i'll receive notification emails? (eg backup successful emails.)

Hi can anyone give me any pointers/howto on how to set up a pop3 or gmail email account so that i'll receive notification emails? (eg backup successful emails.)

check the local installed postfix settings.

see /etc/postfix

check the local installed postfix settings.

see /etc/postfix
Would you kind me tell me what of the thousands of parameters of main.cf I'm missing ??

I'm using an external mail server 'mail.xxx.net' that requires authentification and that needs 587 as the ssmpt output port.

After lot of tests I've arrived to this best config in main.cf :

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost

#############################################
relayhost = mail.xxx.com:587

myorigin = xxx.com
mydomain = xxx.com
masquerade_domains = $mydomain
###################################

mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
inet_interfaces = loopback-only
recipient_delimiter = +
Where it seems that mail arrives to server but got it bounced with error:

Aug 20 12:32:02 servidor1 postfix/smtp[12431]: 2B2275868C: to=<yyyyy@xxx.net>, orig_to=<root>, relay=mail.xxx.net[86.109.167.xxx]:587, delay=0.6, delays=0.13/0.03/0.33/0.11, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mail.xxx.net[86.109.167.xxx] said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Thank you veru much for your help.

Aug 20 12:32:02 servidor1 postfix/smtp[12431]: 2B2275868C: to=<yyyyy@xxx.net>, orig_to=<root>, relay=mail.xxx.net[86.109.167.xxx]:587, delay=0.6, delays=0.13/0.03/0.33/0.11, dsn=5.0.0, status=bounced (host mail.xxx.net[86.109.167.xxx] said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Hi,
is your relayhost responsible for your domain? The error message say that this is not so.
If the relayhost is responsible they should accept mail for a valid email address from any host - for unknown emaildomains only after authorisation.

You wrote as domain xxx.com but in the error messages xxx.net!?!

Is the mailaddress ( cat /root/.forward ) correct?

Udo

Hi,
is your relayhost responsible for your domain? The error message say that this is not so.
If the relayhost is responsible they should accept mail for a valid email address from any host - for unknown emaildomains only after authorisation.

You wrote as domain xxx.com but in the error messages xxx.net!?!

Is the mailaddress ( cat /root/.forward ) correct?

Udo
Thanks for your interest.

Mi domain is www.xxx.net (sorry NOT xxx.com)
host mail.xxx.net is what I use for mail server when using mail clientes (mozilla & outlook) I have to use port 587 for ssmtp
I´m using myuser@xxx.net for user to send results of backups.
Does this answer your first question ???

cat /root/.forward shows correct info myuser@xxx.net

Regards

Thanks for your interest.

Mi domain is www.xxx.net (sorry NOT xxx.com)
host mail.xxx.net is what I use for mail server when using mail clientes (mozilla & outlook) I have to use port 587 for ssmtp
Do you have to use authentification at the mailclient (username/password) to send mail, or must before check for mail (pop-before-smtp...)?
I´m using myuser@xxx.net for user to send results of backups.
Does this answer your first question ???
Not really.
Is your relayhost the MX in your domain?
Try a "dig xxx.net mx" - but xxx.net has no MX.
As example the shorten output of yyy.net:
Code:
dig yyy.net mx

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R1 <<>> yyy.net mx
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 36708
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;yyy.net.            IN    MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
yyy.net.        60    IN    MX    20 mail.yyy.net.
yyy.net.        60    IN    MX    10 yyy.net.
yyy.net.        60    IN    MX    15 www.yyy.net.
If your relayhost one of the MX-hosts they should accept the mail without authentification.
If not, perhaps you can try to use (in this case) mail.yyy.net as relayhost - but i guess in this case plain smtp (on port 25). But this is no different without relayhost - in both cases the mail will delivered directly to mail.yyy.net...

Udo

Do you have to use authentification at the mailclient (username/password) to send mail, or must before check for mail (pop-before-smtp...)?
Yes, I have to check ' My Server requires authentification ' Checkbox on Servers Tab & Using same config as POP (so I assume is using same usser/password mechanism than POP)
Is your relayhost the MX in your domain?
Try a "dig xxx.net mx" - but xxx.net has no MX.
Output is :
Code:
servidor1:~# dig xxx.net MX

; <<>> DiG 9.5.1-P3 <<>> xxx.net MX
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 43129
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;xxx.net.                        IN      MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
xxx.net.         4557    IN      MX      10 mail.xxx.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
xxx.net.         2959    IN      NS      dns1.yyyy.net.
xxx.net.         2959    IN      NS      dns2.yyyy.net.
xxx.net.         2959    IN      NS      dns1.zzzzz.com.
xxx.net.         2959    IN      NS      dns2.zzzzz.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mail.xxxx.net.    4557    IN      A      86.109.167.xxx
dns1.zzzzz.com. 4557    IN      A       86.109.160.yy
dns2.zzzzz.com. 4557    IN      A       86.109.160.zz

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.255.xx#53(192.168.255.xx)
;; WHEN: Sat Aug 21 19:12:04 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 205
If your relayhost one of the MX-hosts they should accept the mail without authentification.
If not, perhaps you can try to use (in this case) mail.yyy.net as relayhost - but i guess in this case plain smtp (on port 25). But this is no different without relayhost - in both cases the mail will delivered directly to mail.yyy.net...
Not really understand your words ...

I've been reading&testing, testing&reading all info I've found against postfix and its configuration files, for all my spare time in a month, and still I'm not able to send an email from Proxmox ....

Could someone kindly post (send me) a working postfix config files, using an gmail account ??

Thanks in advance

Vicente

Hi guys

Would sSMTP be a good fit for proxmox?

Seems like it would be a very straightforward way to solve this problem?

Kerry
It works, but unfortunately, installation of ssmtp removes postfix, and pve-manager packages, and pve-manager is then one that makes then proxmox web-manager. So you can not use Proxmox web configuraion...

We have to wait for a working postfix config, or may be a way to remove the postfix dependency of pve-manager ....

Regards

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!