Set size of /var/lib/vz during install and/or minimum free space on pve LVM

e100

Renowned Member
Nov 6, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
ulbuilder.wordpress.com
I know it is possible to set the size of the root and swap partitions during the install like this:
Code:
linux maxroot=XX swapsize=YY

Is it possible to set the size of /var/lib/vz too?
If not can this be added to the installer?

Also, it would also be nice if we can set the minimum free space on the pve LVM volume.
I know the installer sets the free space to 4GB or 16GB but when installing on huge arrays I would like to make the free space even larger.
Sure would be convenient if I could set the pve LVM free space to 100GB like this:
Code:
linux pvefree=100

I'm interested on this feature since long long time. If you file a request please tell me the req. number so I can follow it, and/or you are going to submit a patch and you are clueless like me about perl or whatever is needed we can join forces :)

maxvz option:
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=226

minfree option:
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=227

I am more of a sysadmin than a developer but I can write decent code when needed.
I've written lots of Perl, but that was 10 years ago so my Perl-Fu is very rusty :D

Should not take too much time to make the changes, here is where it would need made if you are interested:
https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-installer.git;a=blob_plain;f=proxinstall;hb=HEAD

Only issue for me is time, I have so little time and this is not a #1 priority for me at the moment so not really sure when I will have time to write a patch myself.

I've tested maxvz (using a VM, thanks AMD for nested virtualization!) and is NOT what I want, and would love to understand when it can be useful (seems complementary to 'minfree', is it so? Same goal, different way to specify size?).
What I want seems have been implemented 2012/11/30 as "hdsize" parameter, thanks a lot Proxmox team! Looking forward having it in the .iso!!!
As far as I understand if hdsize is less than physical hd size, that size will be considered so you will have a boot partition and the pv (physical volume) partition smaller than the hd size, so you can add another partition, create a new PV on it, create a new VG on it and add as VG group in storage confi. This way you can have kvm VM based on LV instead of file based without the need of an additional disk.
So, correct me if I'm wrong, I could have a RAID10, 2TB /dev/sda and install Proxmox using i.e. only 500 GB (hdsize=500) and leave 1,5TB for LVM storage, great!
Thanks again

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!