server name case sensitivity bug, what to do?

tatric

Feb 1, 2020
Hi, I have had my setup working fine for a long time and (updated recently) i have chosen to move a container to another node in the cluster. The migration works but i there is problems in controlling the container, like its running but shows as stopped, or no Ip address etc and it and a lot of errors with content like `Configuration file 'nodes/Octobox/qemu-server/119.conf' does not exist` when looking at /etc/pve/nodes/ i see, shock horror two folders one octobox and another Octobox. looking at the name in the GUI this node is Octobox! and always has been.

what to do ?

So after trying some things:
* all the lxc containers config are in Octobox
* hostname says Octobox
* error message say Octobox

Also trying to use qm commands fail on all containers. eg. qm terminal 118 also results in the same error.

Thoughts on:
Renaming the node using hostnamectl to octobox ? then moving lxc and qemu files over to octobox?

Last edited:
Hi,
yes, please ensure that the entries in /etc/hostname, /etc/hosts and /etc/pve/corosync.conf all agree (If you want/need to edit the last file, see here). Then move all the configuration into the correct folder.

For containers, qm cannot be used, you need pct.

Thank you, pct indeed works, on most hosts. so may be the node name is a red herring as everything else you said all matches up each setting is the same.

so now it appears that i have an issue with this container on one host. If i try the use the wui on the container when the container is running i get an error msg. If the container is indeed running it shows in the wui as not running and I therefore can't do anything with it, except make the container not start on boot and reboot the node. Is there a way to force it?

wui error on summary screen can't open '/sys/fs/cgroup/blkio///lxc/119/blkio.throttle.io_service_bytes_recursive' - No such file or directory (500)

Once the container is stopped i can migrate it, and have done back and forth to see if that fixes it, but it seems to remember rather that overwriting and fixing the missing file issue.

If i migrate it off this node is there a way to clear it, or can i copy the missing file from somewhere else on another node?

Note that this is not a normal file, but part of the man 5 sysfs, and likely indicates a mismatch between running and installed kernel. Please check with pveversion -v and have a look at this thread.

Thanks for your help but i have not messed about with the grub or the disk. But it is correct that i have an old kernel. but update has nothing to install, i don't have UEFI.

Code:
proxmox-ve: not correctly installed (running kernel: 4.15.18-20-pve) pve-manager: 6.4-8 (running version: 6.4-8/185e14db) pve-kernel-4.15: 5.4-8 pve-kernel-4.15.18-20-pve: 4.15.18-46 pve-kernel-4.15.18-12-pve: 4.15.18-36 pve-kernel-4.15.17-1-pve: 4.15.17-9 ceph-fuse: 12.2.11+dfsg1-2.1+b1 corosync: 3.1.2-pve1 criu: 3.11-3 glusterfs-client: 5.5-3 ifupdown: 0.8.35+pve1 ksm-control-daemon: 1.3-1 libjs-extjs: 6.0.1-10 libknet1: 1.20-pve1 libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.1.0 libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.0.3-1 libpve-access-control: 6.4-1 libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.1-3 libpve-common-perl: 6.4-3 libpve-guest-common-perl: 3.1-5 libpve-http-server-perl: 3.2-3 libpve-storage-perl: 6.4-1 libqb0: 1.0.5-1 libspice-server1: 0.14.2-4~pve6+1 lvm2: 2.03.02-pve4 lxc-pve: 4.0.6-2 lxcfs: 4.0.6-pve1 novnc-pve: 1.1.0-1 proxmox-backup-client: 1.1.8-1 proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.1-1 proxmox-widget-toolkit: 2.5-6 pve-cluster: 6.4-1 pve-container: 3.3-5 pve-docs: 6.4-2 pve-edk2-firmware: 2.20200531-1 pve-firewall: 4.1-4 pve-firmware: 3.2-4 pve-ha-manager: 3.1-1 pve-i18n: 2.3-1 pve-qemu-kvm: 5.2.0-6 pve-xtermjs: 4.7.0-3 qemu-server: 6.4-2 smartmontools: 7.2-pve2 spiceterm: 3.1-1 vncterm: 1.6-2 zfsutils-linux: 2.0.4-pve1

Code:
cat /etc/*-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"

Code:
update-grub
didn't find any newer kernels.

Code:
apt update
Code:
apt dist-update
it would seam that i have no updates to do, i have checked the sources lists and it matches the other nodes. Even if i wanted to manually install kernel with apt i only get the option of updating to 4.19 why no opition to update to 5.4 like the others?

Please try apt install --reinstall proxmox-ve as the package shows as not correctly installed. The package should depend on pve-kernel-5.4. If it doesn't help, please check your repository configuration.

Reactions: tatric
Wooo hooo!

That's why i love Proxmox and Linux; fixed again with a little help from the community and a bit of figuring out.

Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!