Server 2016 Essentials Installation fails on Qemu

vRod

Renowned Member
Jan 11, 2012
Hi all,

I have recently setup a PVE 5.2-1 cluster of 2 hosts. I use a central NFS share to host the VM files.

I wanted to install a new Server 2016 Essentials VM to replace our aging 2012 VM. I am using the 1705 version ISO of 2016 to install essentials. For storage controller I have selected iSCSI (VirtIO) and VirtIO Networking. For CPU i use the host-passthrough.

Now, coming from the VMware world I know that the storage driver has to be installed during installation for VirtIO. I temporarily unmount the 2016 ISO and mount the VirtIO ISO (0.1.149). I install the driver, swap the ISO's back and continue the installation. Everything is normal and the system proceeds to its first reboot.

After this reboot though, the system tries to boot but gets an immediate BSOD. It goes so fast I cannot see what the message is before the system reboots itself again. From thereon it keeps looping and always gives me the message that "Windows was not restarted correctly, please reinstall again-ish". Have anyone else experienced this on their PVE setup? I found a couple of topics using google but there wasn't really any solution to the problem at that time.

I hope someone would know what to do here.

Thanks,
Chris

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!