[SOLVED] Server 2012 NIC not working properly

Raymond Burns

Apr 2, 2013
Houston, Texas, United States
I have a new PVE 3.0 system with the latest apt-get updates.
VM100 is a server 2012 system that uses virtio drivers for NIC-Storage-Memory Ballooning

Everything went according to wiki with ease.
However, when trying to intialize a static IP, it does not change from "Unidentified Network"
It is using the same "VMBR0" as the management for Proxmox Web GUI, so there must be some error somewhere
I have also tried the Intel E1000 NIC, but it does the same thing.

There may be an issue with "eth0" being on a network PCI-e card, so I will test tomorrow with a new bridge on "eth2"
Any suggestions are welcome though

IP of the webgui is 192.168.0.25
IP set in Server 2012 is 192.168.0.26

I can navigate and ping 192.168.0.25 without any issues
I cannot ping or obtain internet access on 192.168.0.26
The "eth0" was established on the Network Addon card by default
No other network connections have been established, so eth0 is the only physical NIC that is active.

Does "apt-get update" pull in test repository too? (maybe that created the issue)

Last edited:
I have a new PVE 3.0 system with the latest apt-get updates.
VM100 is a server 2012 system that uses virtio drivers for NIC-Storage-Memory Ballooning

Everything went according to wiki with ease.
However, when trying to intialize a static IP, it does not change from "Unidentified Network"
It is using the same "VMBR0" as the management for Proxmox Web GUI, so there must be some error somewhere
I have also tried the Intel E1000 NIC, but it does the same thing.

There may be an issue with "eth0" being on a network PCI-e card, so I will test tomorrow with a new bridge on "eth2"
Any suggestions are welcome though

IP of the webgui is 192.168.0.25
IP set in Server 2012 is 192.168.0.26

I can navigate and ping 192.168.0.25 without any issues
I cannot ping or obtain internet access on 192.168.0.26
The "eth0" was established on the Network Addon card by default
No other network connections have been established, so eth0 is the only physical NIC that is active.

Does "apt-get update" pull in test repository too? (maybe that created the issue)
Hi,
if you use tcpdump on the host, you see the pings from the VM?
Like "tcpdump -i vmbr0 host 192.168.0.26"
Can you ping from the VM the host? Other IPs in the same network?

Udo

PS. See the [solved]... forget my posting

Last edited:
Download the Windows Redhat Virtio drivers.
Can be obtained from http://alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/alt/virtio-win/latest/images/bin/
Download the ISO.
Upload the ISO to your Proxmox like you would for an OS.

Shutdown/Stop your Windows VM and attach the newly uploaded ISO as a CD/DVD Drive (ide0)
Now when your ethernet is discovered navigate the driver installation to the folder on your CD Drive titled (Win7>>AMD64[for x64 Windows])

The Windows 8/2012 drivers may work. I had improper connection values as well.
One key issue I was having was no DHCP, so my network settings work getting screwed around due to IP Address conflict, and I was trying to set the WINS IP. As of right now, I have not been able to get it to connect when using a WINS IP. I can only complete the manual IP, Netmask, and DNS section of TCP/IP 4 settings. None of this is needed when using DHCP.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!