Server 2003 Blue Screen after P2V

mwuz

Sep 9, 2024
We are attempting to P2V a Windows 2003 x64 Server so we can back it up and archive it. I was unable to use VMware Converter or Starwind's converter so I made an image with Clonezilla, created a small vm, and restored the image with Clonezilla. This all went well but I can't boot into the new vm, it blue screens.

I found this KB: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Windows_2003_guest_best_practices but I wonder if there is more I need to do.

1. Should I be installing the VirtIO drivers before imaging the old server?
  2. Is it OK to configure a SCSI disk or should I be using IDE? (I P2V'd a 2008 server and after dropping the SCSI drive and adding it back as IDE I was able to login, that's why I'm asking).
  3. Is the x86-64-v2-AES processor OK for a 2003 server?

I'd prefer to adjust my config and have things magically work however I think I might need to add the VirtIO drivers to the server and then reimage it.

What do I need to look at to get this machine

@mariol thank you for replying! Here it is:
Bash:
acpi: 1
bios: seabios
boot: order=ide0;scsi0
cores: 2
cpu: x86-64-v2-AES
ide0: none,media=cdrom
machine: pc-i440fx-8.1
memory: 4096
meta: creation-qemu=8.1.5,ctime=1726773558
name: svr-AD1
net0: e1000=00:50:56:a4:c5:dd,bridge=vmbr1
ostype: w2k3
scsi0: datastore_vm:vm-109-disk-0,size=150G
smbios1: uuid=422463c1-e1ba-1cca-07b7-538525aa431a
sockets: 1
vmgenid: 718dc34c-ee74-4f7f-bdf5-1269b02333de
~                                                                                                                                                           
~                                                                                                                                                           
~                                                                                                                                                           
~                                                                                                                                                           
~                                                                                                                                                           
"/etc/pve/qemu-server/109.conf" 16 lines, 397 bytes

I'll do this in the future instead of describing the config. Thanks for any help you can give.

MJ

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!