Scheduling proxmox-backup-client from backup-server

adoII

Renowned Member
Jan 28, 2010
Hi,
i am just evaluating proxmox backup server and I am really impressed.

But how can i schedule client-file backups from the server so that for example only 2 or 3 backups run at the same time ?

Lets say i have 80 vms to backup and my resources like cpu or disk or network only allow for 3 parallel backup jobs.

Is scheduling file backups from backup client only possible via cron-jobs ? The means i have to maintain an excel list what backups take what time and what time a cronjob on the client should start the backup. Seems to be impracticable.

Also: I only need backup-client backup client because i need quick access to single files within backups. Is it maybe possible to quickly access single backed up files in vzdump images ?

Last edited:
Is scheduling file backups from backup client only possible via cron-jobs ?
if you use proxmox-backup-client directly, yes this is currently the only way (for pve you can use the normal backup schedules)

we plan to have some kind scheduling built-in to the client, but nothing concrete so far, maybe check if there is already a feature request for this on https://bugzilla.proxmox.com and maybe open one if there isn't (so that everyone can keep track of it)

Is it maybe possible to quickly access single backed up files in vzdump images ?
for container this is already possible, and there are some features planned for qemu vms, such as attaching a backup disk into an existing vm for easy access

Hi,

I'm also trying to cron proxmox-backup-client jobs. When issuing the following command as root
Bash:
proxmox-backup-client backup etc.pxar:/etc --repository localhost:backup-storage
it is asking me for the root@pam password.

How do I pass the password in a cronjob?

Thanks,
Fred

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!