Save VM backup on LVM-Thin storage

tuxmartin

Feb 18, 2018
Hi,
I have two 500GB SSD RAID1. First RAID1 partion is ext4 for system (20GB size) and second partion is LVM-Thin for VMs (size 446GB).
Everything works great, except one thing - if I create backup of VM, proxmox want to save it at "/var/lib/vz" which is on 20GB ext4 partion.
Is possible to save VM backups to LVM-Thin? And how can I configure it?

Code:
root@pmx1:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content iso,vztmpl,rootdir,images
    maxfiles 0

lvmthin: ssd
    thinpool datassd
    vgname vgssd
    content images,rootdir
    nodes pmx1

Thanks.

Attachments

• lvm_thin.png
    lvm_thin.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 48
Is possible to save VM backups to LVM-Thin? And how can I configure it?

No, you cannot store backups on lvm. Anyways, it is not really a good idea to store the backup on the local host. In case of problems, you will lose the VMs and the backups at the same time, which makes the backup useless.

If you really want to, you could create an LV manually, format it with something (e.g. ext4), mount it as a directory, then add the directory to the PVE storage page.

If it were me, I'd just plug in an external USB drive and use that.

If you really want to, you could create an LV manually, format it with something (e.g. ext4), mount it as a directory, then add the directory to the PVE storage page.

If it were me, I'd just plug in an external USB drive and use that.
Hi, I’m going to build my first proxmox server with an Intel nuc with a 2TB NVME disk for OS and VMs and with an additional SSD SATA disk to be used as backup target.. I was wondering how I should configure the external disk, should I simply follow the steps in this page of the manual to create a ext4 FS and then configure a directory storage pool pointing to the directory where I’ve mounted the volume? If the NVME is configured with the default LVM setup will the backups to the ext4 FS be always full backups or will it be able to do incremental backups with snapshots?

Attachments

• 24B42BE3-C831-4A85-AE3B-61A77F1ABF13.png
    24B42BE3-C831-4A85-AE3B-61A77F1ABF13.png
    968.7 KB · Views: 31
  • B6762259-AD35-40E8-9889-2E7655FCA5D3.jpeg
    B6762259-AD35-40E8-9889-2E7655FCA5D3.jpeg
    870.6 KB · Views: 29

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!