SATA HDD pass-through

kopsfd

May 28, 2013
Hi,

I searched a lot but can't find the right answer to my relatively easy question.

I have a Intel Board with onboard SATA Controller.

Is it possible to pass-through some of this SATA-HDD drives to a virtual machine (KVM because Windows and BSD)?

And if it is possible where and how I have to do this?

Thanks a lot

Hi,

I searched a lot but can't find the right answer to my relatively easy question.

I have a Intel Board with onboard SATA Controller.

Is it possible to pass-through some of this SATA-HDD drives to a virtual machine (KVM because Windows and BSD)?

And if it is possible where and how I have to do this?

Thanks a lot

Yes this is possible. See this post on how to do it. It's quite easy and works well in my experience.

http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/6192-Physical-disk-pass-through?p=35092#post35092

@FastLaneJB

Thank you for your answer - I will have a try.

@pirateghost

I want to create a NAS with ZFS filesystem and therefor I need direct HDD access.

For ZFS and its benefits it is necessary to connect the HDDs directly (it is recommend not to virtualize this - but I hope with direct hardware pass-through it should work)

And in case it doesn't work like I planned - I can remove these HDDs and use them 1:1 in a fresh installation without virtualization-layer (and the data remains)

Thank you very much

@FastLaneJB

Thank you for your answer - I will have a try.

@pirateghost

I want to create a NAS with ZFS filesystem and therefor I need direct HDD access.

For ZFS and its benefits it is necessary to connect the HDDs directly (it is recommend not to virtualize this - but I hope with direct hardware pass-through it should work)

And in case it doesn't work like I planned - I can remove these HDDs and use them 1:1 in a fresh installation without virtualization-layer (and the data remains)

Thank you very much

I asked because you had mentioned windows VM. I use freenas as well and can honestly say that it is not a good idea to virtualize it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I asked because you had mentioned windows VM. I use freenas as well and can honestly say that it is not a good idea to virtualize it.

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

Why it's a bad idea to virtualize freenas when the hdd's are passed-through? I thougt it should work with direct hdd-access?

What problems will occur and how do I realize it?

Hi,

thank you for your answer.

Why it's a bad idea to virtualize freenas when the hdd's are passed-through? I thougt it should work with direct hdd-access?

What problems will occur and how do I realize it?

Are you already over on the FreeNAS forums? I just saw a post from today about this very question.

If you havent read already, you should have a look at the following 2 posts:
http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...Virtual-Machine!&p=58364&viewfull=1#post58364
http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...ot-a-guide-to-not-completely-losing-your-data

Be wary.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!