Sanity Check w/ Link Aggregation (bond0)

vizsla

Aug 27, 2017
Upper Midwest
I've successfully installed Proxmox for the first time on a Dell PowerEdge T330 server with one VM of CentOS and two Linux Containers for UniFi Controller and UniFi Video. I have two ports on my UniFi switch set to link aggregation 802.3ad. I have two on-board network adapters (eno1 and eno2) and two network adapters on an Intel Ethernet I350 DP card (enp2s0f0 and enp2s0f1).

I'm posting here to get your help in creating a bond0 with enp2s0f0 and enp2s0f1 and to leave the on-board network adapters as backups / unused for now. I don't want to screw this up and not be able to access Proxmox again, so I wanted to run this by the forum first. My current configuration is as follows (proposed change is below this).
Code:
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface enp2s0f0 inet manual
iface eno1 inet manual
iface eno2 inet manual
iface enp2s0f1 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address  10.10.10.10
netmask  255.255.255.0
gateway  10.10.10.1
bridge_ports enp2s0f0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Do I modify this to the following? Any suggestions for improvement? And if I should use the config below, do you recommend I save it as /etc/network/interfaces.new and then reboot? Thanks!
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface enp2s0f0 inet manual
iface eno1 inet manual
iface eno2 inet manual
iface enp2s0f1 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
slaves enp2s0f0 enp2s0f1
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode 802.3ad
bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3
post-up ifconfig enp2s0f0 mtu 9000 && ifconfig enp2s0f1 mtu 9000 && ifconfig bond0 mtu 9000

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address  10.10.10.10
netmask  255.255.255.0
gateway  10.10.10.1
bridge_ports bond0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

What doesn't work, when you activate the network configuration? Bond active and ping working?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!