Samba share from Proxmox host mounted on Ubuntu guest write Permission Denied

pradeepslc

Oct 30, 2020
Hello, I am trying to get started on using proxmox for my home server. I have mounted my data disk in proxmox and shared it using samba share with read and write permission. In my Ubuntu guest VM I mounted this cifs disk and am able to read the contents. But I get permission denied upon write . Does anybody have an idea what I might be doing wrong

Hi AKA,

Thanks for the reply. I will add a little detail into how my setup looks like.

I added the drive share to samba configuration file as below
Code:
[3TBHDD]
   path = /mnt/3TBHDD
   read only = no
   guest ok = yes
   available = yes
   hosts allow = 127.0.0.1 192.168. 10.
   hosts deny = 0.0.0.0/0
   browseable = yes
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   create mask = 777

And for mounting the drive as cifs I added the below to my /etc/fstab

Code:
//192.168.1.153/3TBHDD /mnt/3TBHDD cifs rw,username=root,password=***,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777,noperm 0 0

I searched a lot on the internet but didn't find a solution for the write Permission Denied problem.

Hi AKA,

Thanks for looking. here is the ls command output on the proxmox host on the lefet and guest VM on the right

proxmox-ls.jpg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!