rpool/ROOT/pve-1 full

tyrolean

Nov 26, 2020
Hello,

Please can somebody help me? - My problem is that i have one zfs pool where Proxmox 6.4 is installed
and rpool/ROOT/pve-1 is consuming around 800GB of disk space, causing everything to slow down a lot
since the pool is 98% full. This started probably because of a backup, i deleted everything i could
and did a du -hsx /* but nothing seems to eat up so much space. I rebooted the server but still the same.
Please help me find the cause

Since this is a ZFS pool, you will need to use zfs tools to figure out what is going on.

The first step would be to run zfs list to get an overview which datasets are consuming the space.

Like you said it's probably because of a backup which didn't end up on a mounted drive but on your root drive instead. I assume that you know which backup jobs you defined and where they were supposed to store the backups. This is where you should start searching.

Like you said it's probably because of a backup which didn't end up on a mounted drive but on your root drive instead. I assume that you know which backup jobs you defined and where they were supposed to store the backups. This is where you should start searching.
Thank You for your help, with the help of an external expert, i was able to find the problem: a usb drive was mounted to the same directory so it looked empty, after unmounting the usb drive the occupied space was visible again. I was then able to delete the backups that were not supposed to be there.

Yep, that's usually the problem here. Either a masked directory because of some mounted drive or an assumed mounted drive which then isn't. Good that you found it, 98% is a bit too much for a filesystem. ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!