Rollback snapshat from raw file

yassir.amd

Feb 20, 2017
Hello,
I'm new in the forum, we are facing problem to rollback from raw file.
I explain : we had a fatal problem with the VM, so we restored the last backup we had (wich was made in october). Before the problem had happened we had a recent snapshot.
So when we restored we lost the snapshot in the "SNAPSHOT" tag, but we still have the file .raw.

The question is, how can we make a rollback from that raw file?

We really need to make the rollback, otherwise we lose all the work accomplished from october to february.

Please help!

thank you.

just to understand correctly:

you had a vm

backed it up in october
sometimes later made a snapshot
now you restored from snapshot

what is the raw file?
on raw files, you can't do snapshots, so what storage is this?

Thank you for the response dcsapak. When we make Snapshot, we can chose the format raw, and this will create a .raw file in the server.
Now the problem is, we have kept that raw file. but we don't have any visible snapshot in proxmoox interface for that vm. (see picture attached)

Attachments

• snapshot.PNG
    snapshot.PNG
    11.1 KB · Views: 7
1. backed it up in october
2. sometimes later made a snapshot (february)
3. Error on VM
4. made restore from backup of october.
5. Now we try to rollback from snapshot (2)

In order to resolve this :
1. i took a new snapshot, and chose .raw format for the image.
2. i deleted the .raw file generated on the server and replaced it with the one we had made.
3. i made a rollback.
... but when i try to restart the vm, i have problem to run the vm correctly! :(

do you mean backup instead of snapshot? with snapshots you cannot choose a format.

Oh sorry, i don't choose the format, it's the format by default when i make a snapshot. I just tried a snapshot. See picture attached.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    26.4 KB · Views: 5
oh i get it now..
the file you see is just the content of the RAM when you choose to include it.

the snaphots of the storage get generated on the storage itself

so if you did not copy the disk anywhere else, i am afraid the data is gone, since on a restore to the same vmid we overwrite the disk (and discard all snapshots by doing this)

Oh. if i understand, since we did a restore on the vm, the .raw file is no more useful!
Thank you that makes sense. Thank you for your explanation Dominik. Have a great day.

for future issues like this. use a different vm-id for restore if you get an vm that is corrupt. you maybe need it to copy data to another or a new server.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!