Right RAID Settings with Proxmox 5

starnetwork

Renowned Member
Dec 8, 2009
Hi,
most of our servers have 6-8 SSD Hard drives with RAID Controller that include 1GB-2GB Cache
now, the question is what is the recommended configuration for Proxmox 5
focus on Availability and best performance:
1. Hardware RAID 10?
2. ZFS with RAID10?
3. Hardware RAID1 with ZFS Raid0?
4. Hardware RAID0 with ZFS Raid1?
another configuration?

Regards,

Never do combination of hardware and software raid (3, 4). Either hw-raid (you'd better not use ZFS then), or software raid...

OK,thanks!
but what is better, use the WH Raid with Controller and Cache or use ZFS with Software RAID?

I'm using both solutions and all I can say is: both HW-raid and SW-raid (ZFS) has advantages and disadvantages. I do not dare to say what is definitely better...

sure I want to have, the question is if the "cost" of using Software raid in Performance / reliability is high...

question is if the "cost" of using Software raid in Performance / reliability is high

It's as always: features vs. raw power. I'd always go with ZFS instead of a hardware raid controller because of the better integrity checks (your data will be more save with ZFS - silent data corruption) and features like compression, copy-on-write, snapshots, send/receive etc.

With regard to performance, this depends on so many things that you cannot answer it in general. There will always be cases in which a hardware raid controller is faster and vice versa. But a few things to keep in mind: There are scenarios in which besides a bigger software stack on the ZFS side, data can be written faster to disk because of its compressability. Hardware (I/O and CPU) is very fast nowadays, that you can do compression transparently and be faster than raw, uncompressed power, so that compressing a 1 MB block into e.g. 512 KB and storing it to disk takes less time than storing the full 1 MB block uncompressed. Besides the performance advantage, you'll also use less space.

I think that it is very hard to see any performance benefits for a RAID Controller in a full SSD setup with 1-2 GB of cache. I tried it 3 years ago and the raw throughput of my 6 Enterprise grade SSDs is 2,5 GB/sec and I had a controller with 1 GB of cache and BBU. I could no see any benefits in comparison to speed in a RAID10 setup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!