Retry period

jlipari

Jun 12, 2008
It seems that undeliverable mail is retried for 5 days. Is there a way to change how long and how frequent it is retried?

Thanks

Thats currently not possible, sorry (only if you edit the templat file manualy /var/lib/proxmox/templates/main.cf.in).

- Dietmar

Ok thanks, I'll check that out. Also, I have another suggestion. It would be nice if there was a way to remove defered e-mails from the queue.

Thanks

I don't see any lines in that file that look like they control the retry period. Does a line need to be added?

Thanks

Thats currently not possible, sorry (only if you edit the templat file manualy /var/lib/proxmox/templates/main.cf.in).

- Dietmar

sure, you need to add the lines:

maximal_queue_lifetime = 5d
maximal_backoff_time = 4000s
minimal_backoff_time = 1000s

see http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html for explanation.

after modifying the template issue the following command:

# proxconf -s

that will finally write the postfix configuration to /etc/postfix/main.cf,
then reload postfix

# /etc/init.d/postfix reload

but be aware that the template gets overwritten next time you update the software using our servicepacks.

- Dietmar

Ok thanks, I'll check that out. Also, I have another suggestion. It would be nice if there was a way to remove defered e-mails from the queue.

You can delete all messages (using the menu besides 'Mail Queue'). Delete them individually is not possible currently.

- Dietmar

Thanks a lot!

# proxconf -s

then reload postfix

but be aware that the template gets overwritten next time you update the software using our servicepacks.

- Dietmar

One more question. It doesn't look like "proxconf" is a valid command. Did you make a typo, or am I missing something?

Thanks again!

# proxconf -s

then reload postfix

- Dietmar

Hello there,

I'm trying to add some custom postfix parameters, specifically
maximal_queue_lifetime = 14d

as per description above and as per PGM admin guide I've copied
cp /var/lib/pmg/templates/main.cf.in /etc/pmg/templates
edit main.cf.in - add relevant commands to the bottom of existing template, save
pmgconfig sync --restart 1 to apply as I believe that is relevant command do the current build
and nothing pmgconfig dump doesn't show it was added, along with if I check with postconf... I need my custom parameters to be preserved with system updates

also there were no etc/pmg/templates directory, so I had to create in first

Could you kindly direct me to the correct solution?

Regards,
MarvinFS

Last edited:
Hello there,

I'm trying to add some custom postfix parameters, specifically
maximal_queue_lifetime = 14d

I need my custom parameters to be preserved with system updates

Please disregard previous message - everything works fine: I've removed original template from /var/lib and reloaded postfix everything shows with updated settings now - hope it will be persistent though the updates. In case you wonder, such long retention times are required for my specific personal case of primary mail server unavailability for a long time.

/etc/pmg/templates# postconf -p | grep -i maxim
maximal_queue_lifetime = 20d

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!