Restoring KVM from Proxmox v1 on Proxmox v2

malexherron

Oct 18, 2012
Los Angeles
Hello community:

having a spot of bother restoring a backup made from a KVM running on our version 1 installation on our new version 2 lab box.

The machine was backed up using the UI on v1 and then vzrestore is used on the v2. The actual restoration seems to go fine, but the vm KP's upon boot.

I am thinking it may have to do with differing kernel versions

Version1 said:
Linux hostedpbx-00 2.6.24-12-pve #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Sep 20 13:02:41 CEST 2010 x86_64

Version2 said:
Linux hostedpbx-03 2.6.32-12-pve #1 SMP Tue May 15 06:02:20 CEST 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The following is a screen of the KP in case it might provide some insight.

acegG1z8.png

It should be noted that we have attempted just moving the image file from one system to the other, which results in a bootable system, but most essential services are unable to start. (asterisk, mysql, etc)

Can someone provide insight on how best to restore a v1 KVM on a v2 machine? Thanks!

post your the VMID.conf file, and what Linux OS do you run in the KVM guest?

sorry for the late reply, i was sent out of town shortly after posting this.

The KVM guest runs CentOS 5.2 and Linux kernel 2.6.18-92.1.22.el5

cat /var/lib/vz/qemu-server/205.confostype: l26
memory: 1024
name: voip.XXXXXXX.com
ide2: pbxinaflash.iso,media=cdrom
sockets: 1
bootdisk: scsi0
onboot: 0
description: XX.XX.78.12<br>Asterisk trunks between customer and sip-proxy.freeway.com
cores: 1
vlan107: e1000=96:B9:8C:68:4E:43
ide0: local:205/vm-205-disk-1.qcow2

ty for the reply dietmar

Currently running PM1.9 on one server and PM2.1-1 on another.

the KVM we are attempting to move is on PM1.9 and backups of this machine KP when booting after a restore from the 1.9 generated backup...

thanks for any insight and let me know if i can provide anything else

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!