Restoring Cluster

kutija

Jan 5, 2016
I have two identical servers running the latest version of Proxmox. Each server has 2 NIC's, one for public networking and other for clustering. I have no shared storage yet, but I plan to add it when I reach certain amount of servers.

These two were in a cluster. Cluster was created on a first server (call it PMX1) and the second was added to the cluster (PMX2). Everything worked perfectly until RAID array fall apart on PMX1 node and I had to reinstall it as soon as possible in order to restore virtual instances and services on them.

Now, my PMX1 node has 10 virtual instances (starting from ID 100), and on PMX2 I also have some instances (20 or so with mixed ID's). When I login to PMX2 I still see a PMX1 in a node list but I do not see a list of instances (which is logical).

This is the output of the pvecm status command on PMX2:
Code:
root@node2 ~ # pvecm status
Quorum information
------------------
Date:             Tue Jan  5 20:08:01 2016
Quorum provider:  corosync_votequorum
Nodes:            1
Node ID:          0x00000002
Ring ID:          3684
Quorate:          Yes

Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes:   1
Highest expected: 1
Total votes:      1
Quorum:           1 
Flags:            Quorate

Membership information
----------------------
    Nodeid      Votes Name
0x00000002          1 192.168.0.101 (local)
root@node2 ~ #

I had to reduce Expected Votes number from 2 to 1 in order to create some new instances on PMX2.

So the question is quite simple - is there a way, and how, without any loss (be aware that I cannot reinstall any of these nodes) recreate a cluster and add these two Proxmox nodes or not?

I have two identical servers running the latest version of Proxmox. Each server has 2 NIC's, one for public networking and other for clustering. I have no shared storage yet, but I plan to add it when I reach certain amount of servers.

These two were in a cluster. Cluster was created on a first server (call it PMX1) and the second was added to the cluster (PMX2). Everything worked perfectly until RAID array fall apart on PMX1 node and I had to reinstall it as soon as possible in order to restore virtual instances and services on them.
Hi,
normaly you should add the fresh node to the cluster again before you add VMs...
Now, my PMX1 node has 10 virtual instances (starting from ID 100), and on PMX2 I also have some instances (20 or so with mixed ID's). When I login to PMX2 I still see a PMX1 in a node list but I do not see a list of instances (which is logical).

This is the output of the pvecm status command on PMX2:
Code:
root@node2 ~ # pvecm status
Quorum information
------------------
Date:             Tue Jan  5 20:08:01 2016
Quorum provider:  corosync_votequorum
Nodes:            1
Node ID:          0x00000002
Ring ID:          3684
Quorate:          Yes

Votequorum information
----------------------
Expected votes:   1
Highest expected: 1
Total votes:      1
Quorum:           1
Flags:            Quorate

Membership information
----------------------
    Nodeid      Votes Name
0x00000002          1 192.168.0.101 (local)
root@node2 ~ #

I had to reduce Expected Votes number from 2 to 1 in order to create some new instances on PMX2.

So the question is quite simple - is there a way, and how, without any loss (be aware that I cannot reinstall any of these nodes) recreate a cluster and add these two Proxmox nodes or not?
Do you have unique VM-Numbers on both nodes?? If not create them (backup and restore with new number).

Save the content of /etc/pve e.g. with tar - to be sure on both nodes.
join the PMX1 to the cluster (PMX2) - if this happens, you should see in the GUI the VMs from PMX2 only. Recreate the confs from the backup on PMX1 in /etc/pve/qemu-server/

After that, you should see all VMs...

If you storage.conf (before) is different on both nodes, you will get some trouble?!

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!