Restore VMfile.vma.lzo

eiger3970

Sep 9, 2012
Hello,
I installed Proxmox 3.3, but my VM backup is a .vma.lzo file.
I searched, but haven't found how to restore the VM.vma.lzo file.

Any suggestions please?

Reactions: chrone
It is easy to restore files over the webinterface. Bind your location of the backups in the storage tab. For example: mount your backup manually when it is on USBdisk, then add an new Directorystorage, or add some NFS storage. https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Backup_and_Restore

Thank you.
Yes, I have some notes about restore using the command # qmrestore.
I'll read through the manual then, as I need to know which location to transfer the backupFile.vma.lzo to the newly installed Proxmox, before running any restore command.

Ok, had a look at man qmrestore and man vzrestore.
Doesn't say what location to place the backup file in, for a restore?
Very short manual for restore.
I still don't even know the different in qm and vz restore?

So, where do I transfer the backed up file to, on the newly installed Proxmox, so can restore the VMs?

I've moved my backed up file to Proxmox /var/lib/vz, which seems to be Proxmox's default Storage file, but when I Create VM, Use CD/DVD disc image file (iso) > Storage: local > there's no backedUpFile.vma.lzo?

Yes, I did copy the backedUpFile.vma.lzo to Proxmox's directory /var/lib/vz/dump first, but Proxmox GUI Storage didn't show the backedUpFile.vma.lzo.
I moved the backedUpFile.vma.lzo to /var/lib/vz and Storage still doesn't show the backedUpFile.vma.lzo.

Last edited:
I don't understand. What do I need to do with that www-data thing?
The backedUpFile.vma.lzo is a default backup from Proxmox, so there shouldn't be anything special changed.

I ran that command in:
root@proxmox:/var/lib/vz/dump# chmod go+r /var/lib/vz/dump/vzdump-qemu-165-2014_11_03-12_55_44.vma.lzo.

I went to Proxmox GUI > Server View > Datacenter > Create VM > General > Node: proxmox > VM ID: 165 > Name: ServerNotRestoringAsUsual > Next > Linux/Other OS types: Other OS types (other) > Next > Use CD/DVD disc image file (iso) Storage: local > I click on the drop down window and no vzdump-qemu-165-2014_11_03-12_55_44.vma.lzo file.

Reactions: mandresluna
I went to Proxmox GUI > Server View > Datacenter > Create VM > General > Node: proxmox > VM ID: 165 > Name: ServerNotRestoringAsUsual > Next > Linux/Other OS types: Other OS types (other) > Next > Use CD/DVD disc image file (iso) Storage: local > I click on the drop down window and no vzdump-qemu-165-2014_11_03-12_55_44.vma.lzo file.

Not sure what you are doing. I thought you want to restore a backup file? If so, please use the 'Restore' button (on the the VM 'Backup' panel, or the storage 'Content' panel).

Reactions: mandresluna
Yes, I am trying to restore, but there are no VMs on the newly installed Proxmox.

You see, Proxmox often crashes and I have to rebuild Proxmox often.
So, I have rebuilt Proxmox yet again and now the only way to restore a backedUpFile.vma.lzo it seems, is to create a VM.

To create a VM, is pretty much like a full install of the VM's OS, which defeats the purpose of restoring a backedUpFile.vma.lzo.
If I have to create a VM and install and rebuild a VM's OS, then all the restore of the backedUpFile.vma.lzo does is restore a few quick configurations, which is probably about 5% of the work.

Surely there's a better way to backup and restore?

Surely there's a better way to backup and restore?

As I see it, it is easy enough.
1) every pve datacenter (1 node or cluster with multiple nodes) can define a "storage" as enabled for "backup": do you have one?
2) on that "storage", you will normally find files backed up by pve itself for vms, but from the web ui you can "upload" files, there, too: does this work for you?
3) once uploaded, refresh the page and that file will be listed there: does this work for you?
4) select that file, click "restore", and select the VM ID to restore (must not exist), and destination "storage" (where to put vm disk files): does this work for you?

So, is your pve behaving diffrently?
If yes, details about your install (storages in particular) are needed here.

Marco

Ok, I also copied all VMIDs.conf from /etc/pve/qemu-server from my old Proxmox machine to my local computer.
Now I need to restore all the VMs on the new Proxmox somehow?

Any suggestions please?

Ok, I also copied all VMIDs.conf from /etc/pve/qemu-server from my old Proxmox machine to my local computer.
Now I need to restore all the VMs on the new Proxmox somehow?

Any suggestions please?

Hi,
don't know where your problem is.
Restore is normaly not very difficult.

If you have an openvz-ct use vzrestore and with an kvm-guest use qmrestore
Code:
qmrestore /path/where/the/file/is/vzdump-qemu-165-2014_11_03-12_55_44.vma.lzo 165
If you need the VM on different storage (like before nfs and now local) add an "-storage local".

I would say, it's easy...

BTW, you wrote, that you need to reinstall pve often, because it's dont work reliable... this must have something to do with your config/server/network?? I have some pve-boxes and they run very stable (only a short issue with the kernel 2.6.32-28 till 30).

Udo

Reactions: hmohr and chrone
Thank you for the reply.
I noticed you said "If you have an openvz-ct"
To be clear:
Proxmox old server has crashed.
Proxmox new server has been built.
Proxmox new server has no VMs.
Proxmox new server tries to Create VM, but no Storage finds the backups from /var/lib/vz/dump.

This means I have to Create VMs with the iso files and rebuild every VM.

Please advise if I can use # qmrestore without having to rebuild a VM.

Thank you for the reply.
I noticed you said "If you have an openvz-ct"
To be clear:
Proxmox old server has crashed.
Hi,
how do you defined "crashed"? - you can try to boot an live-cd like grml and copy the vm-files to the new server.
But for this you should know a little bit about linux - perhaps you should hire one, which can help you.
Proxmox new server has been built.
Proxmox new server has no VMs.
Proxmox new server tries to Create VM, but no Storage finds the backups from /var/lib/vz/dump.
what so you mean?? you store your backup on the same server?? And nothing else? And you expect, that the backup-files appear on the new server???

Sorry, without an valid backup nobody can help you.
This means I have to Create VMs with the iso files and rebuild every VM.

Please advise if I can use # qmrestore without having to rebuild a VM.
read the post before - and the man-page of qmrestore.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!