Restore on different machine

skurg

Sep 13, 2013
Hi,
I'm new to proxmox and I'm wandering... what if my proxmox machine is completely destroyed then I make proxmox installation on the new machine, whether it will be possible to restore vms from backups? Will run virtual machines from the old server on the new one without any troubles?

I have only had this problem once so far and had no trouble restoring the individual machines from backups. Read the wiki to se what to watch for. As one Backup of mine was not restoreable du to a common fault in kompression of large files as I found out. So not a fault in proxmox, but in kompressing after backup.

Thanks for a reply.

But from my experience moving windows installation to completely different hardware setup is almost always imposible. So what if proxmox offer to windows vms different hardware ? Unless proxmox always gives vms the same virtual drivers? Is that true?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!