Reset Root password on Proxmox + ZFS + UEFI

clausdk

Apr 28, 2018
I was working on a LXC and after a server restart later on I realized that I had set the password on the Proxmox Root instead of the LXC.

So..... now I need to reset the password for the Proxmox. The problem is that its on a ZFS.
Would anyone know how I could mount the ZFS and reset the password?

I thought I could use the rescue mode on the Proxmox CD, but nope.

Maybe someone have an idea how to reset it?

Thanks.

you can use any live CD that supports ZFS (e.g. recent enough Ubuntu, Debian SID, Debian Buster with buster-backports, PVE installer environment in debug mode after aborting the installation, ...). for most of them you will have to install ZFS first, as they are not contained in the default included set of packages.

Wait ZFS is included in the kernel now in the latest Debian SID? That's good to know. Thanks. I will try it out when I get home.

It would be kind of nice to have a recovery boot option in the efi menu. But maybe that's something you can include in a later version.

Wait ZFS is included in the kernel now in the latest Debian SID? That's good to know.
I believe @fabian meant to use a live CD of a distro that has ZFS packages available. You will still have to install the ZFS packages once you booted the live CD.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!