Request: How to for Installation to >3tb Drive

I hope this finds everyone well.
I am trying to find what is the best way to install Proxmox onto a drive array that has over 2+TB of storage.

I have a bunch of 3TB Drives that I would love to install Proxmox onto.
The hope is of course to use my ISCSI raid array for the actual VM's however these drives make for excellent storage (thinking images, backups etc)

Sadly - When I do the install I am stuck with a screen saying "Grub Loading. Welcome to Grub!" on boot.

I am a little bit educated in Linux - and I am reading that ever since the Linux 2.6.3x series kernels are quite capable of dealing with UEFI in fact grub2 has UEFI support.
I know that Grub 2 is available in the debian upstream repositories - but I am stuck trying to do an install out of the box (from the ISO)

Especially for those systems on which I am a bit remote from and only have a remove kvm access (thus loading a virtual CD rom)

Does anyone have a how-to-do that would make it very easy ( thinking Installing Proxmox on a 3TB drive for Dummies here) something perhaps I can copy/paste ?

I am assuming I could simply build the drive breakout prior to boot - splitting it up perhaps - however I am not sure - so figured I would ask

I guess you need this package grub-efi (http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/grub-efi)
instead of this package grub-pc (http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/grub-pc)

The drives will also require a GPT partition instead of MBR. (http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-Partitioning-EN-The-new-GPT-disk-layout)

The fun question is HOW do we load those from the ISO ?
In short - I am installing from the CD - but don't know how to inject those - thus the question "how to for dummies"

You will have to follow the guide for installing proxmox on a standard Debian installation: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Squeeze

yeah - kinda thought that - but it is technically outside of the lines of support...

I did however just find something interesting... ( amazing what happens when we read directions)

On this link: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Quick_installation It states:

• The installer now supports partitions greater 2 TB
  • Default partitioning uses still ext3, if you want ext4 just type 'linux ext4' on the boot prompt
  • To define the amount of space the root partition uses use 'maxroot=25' where 25 is in GB.
  • To define the amount of swap space at install time use 'swapsize=8' where 8 is in GB.
  • Example, 'linux ext4 maxroot=25 swapsize=8'
  • follow the instructions as always

So that being said - I am going to give it a shot and see what happens.

Last edited:
Maybe the installer automatically uses EFI and GPT if disks larger than 2 TB is detected?

Maybe - my hope was to find something easy for everyone... I have not had the chance to test this just yet - will tonight. I can get there from say a system rescue cd - using gparted etc... but my hope is that this works out of the box so to speak - as it will make life easier for everyone involved...

Will let you know what I find.

running into some oddities -

unable to create volume group at /usr/bin/proxinstall line 602

researching it looks/feels like there might be some kind of volume in the way - going to go to gparted on a sysrescue cd and blow it all out - then be back to this.....

installing on a 3 TB should be no problem. our installer automatically configure and partition these drives with GPT, we see no issue here.

I just installed recently a test system with a new 3 TB seagate barracuda. so there must be something different on your side.

Give details about your hardware.

Edit: and boot in debug mode (or any linux live cd) to check the installation.

I too had to follow the above mentioned guide for installing proxmox on a standard Debian installation. The installer worked for 1 disk without software RAID. But creating a RAID-1 afterwards screwed grub. So I installed Debian Squeeze, made a RAID 1 and the LVM as in a standard proxmox installation and installed proxmox with apt-get.

Works well now.

installing on a 3 TB should be no problem. our installer automatically configure and partition these drives with GPT, we see no issue here.

I just installed recently a test system with a new 3 TB seagate barracuda. so there must be something different on your side.

Give details about your hardware.

Edit: and boot in debug mode (or any linux live cd) to check the installation.

Using Rackables:
Manufacturer: Rackable
Model Number: S5000PSL
Processor Details
Speed: 2.33GHz
Processor Type: Intel Xeon E5345 SLAC5
Total CPUs: 2 Processors
Cores per CPU: 4 Cores
Cache: 8MB

Seagate Drives 3TB

I had the same problem on another system - that was a Dell Xanadu ( 4 motherboards in 1 server )
beefier system 128GB of ram - but no love on that - so stepped over to the aforementioned and got the same result. . .

I am going to toss the drives and try new ones (these only have the failed install on them ) and give it a shot again.

One feature request would be Software Raid on install - (of course we can do afterwards)
anyhow - will let you know how it goes tonight.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!