Replacing drives in Zpool

Jan 23, 2021
Hi all,

I currently have 4x 1TB NVMe drives running as a stripped mirror for my VM disk storage. I am in the process of replacing them all for 2TB drives.

I'm happy with using the zpool replace command. I have replaced two so far, the second one is just re-silvering now. I currently only have 3x 2TB drives though for the replacement. I'm yet to get the 4th drive.

Once I have replaced the third drive, what will happen if I remove the fourth? Will the zpool automatically grow and run in a degraded state, thus inhibiting me from re-installing the 1TB drive, or is the growth of the pool a manual operation from the command line?

Thanks,

FS

Screenshot 2021-08-21 at 18.54.15.png

So I have replaced three of the drives now. No problems.

Although there is a message about running zpool upgrade to enable new features. Is this generally a safe operation to carry or are there any considerations I should make before doing so?

Thanks,

FS

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!