[SOLVED] Renaming of VG and LV

dmox

Jul 11, 2018
Hi,
yesterday I renamed a VG and a corresponding LV. While doing so I did not think about the linked VMs which are having their disks lying on the LV. Now they woun't boot up with the following message:
Code:
kvm: -drive file=/dev/vm-storage/vm-111-disk-0,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,cache=writeback,format=raw,aio=threads,detect-zeroes=on: Could not open '/dev/vm-storage/vm-111-disk-0': No such file or directory
TASK ERROR: start failed: (...)
Currently, I associated the renamed LV back to its renamed VG. Next I want to associate the VM-disks to the renamed LV. I tried this with the following command:

Code:
qm move_disk 111 scsi0 lv-vm-storage

Unfortunately, this returns me
Code:
storage 'lvm-thin-1' does not exists
whereas lvm-thin-1 is the old LV name.

Subsquently, I wonder if I can manipulate the VM configuration files directly under /etc/pve/qemu-server without getting into trouble because some metadata becomes dirty or other undesired things happen when I do this?
Thank you for your help.
Kind regards, David

Last edited:
I guess you realise that you should have moved the VM's storage first...I think it works to edit the files in /etc/pve/qemu-server. The VM's are off so it should work, based on me doing it once before only.

Ok, thank you for your answer. It worked.
So the correct way would've been to create a temporary LV first, move the VMs there, rename the old LV, move the VMs to the renamed LV and delete the temporary LV?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!