Removing "hibernate" state of vm? Proxmox 5.4

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by holr, Jul 12, 2019.

1. holr

holr New Member

Hello,
    I went through the process of hibernating all VMs on a 5.4 proxmox server recently (qm suspend --vmid <id> --todisk 1) before a server reboot.

After rebooting, I tried resuming all the vms (qm resume <vmid>) but not all of them woke back up, many of them not thawing but timing out en masse.

Is it possible to delete the hibernate state and have the VM just start up, without the restoration of RAM etc.? My snapshots are from some time ago and I'd like to try just booting, without the restoring!

2. dcsapak

dcsapak Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

first it would be interesting why they are not starting, because this should not happen...

otherwise, you can try to boot when you manually edit the config (be sure to know what you are doing, this circumvents all checks from us) to
    remove the 'suspend' lock and the 'vmstate' (you can then delete the file/lv etc. of the state via pvesm (see man pvesm))

then it should start 'normally' but behaves like the power was cut

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    holr likes this.
  3. holr

holr New Member

Thank you for the suggestion! I will try this, in the meantime here is the output I get after attempting a resume on several of the vms in question:

Code:
    qm resume 534
    Resuming suspended VM
    start failed: command '/usr/bin/kvm -id 534 -name <vm-name> -chardev 'socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/534.qmp,server,nowait' -mon 'chardev=qmp,mode=control' -chardev 'socket,id=qmp-event,path=/var/run/qmeventd.sock,reconnect=5' -mon 'chardev=qmp-event,mode=control' -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/534.pid -daemonize -smbios 'type=1,uuid=658c52c7-b345-4eff-a9fa-9a43207f0996' -smp '4,sockets=1,cores=4,maxcpus=4' -nodefaults -boot 'menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg' -vnc unix:/var/run/qemu-server/534.vnc,x509,password -no-hpet -cpu 'kvm64,+lahf_lm,+sep,+kvm_pv_unhalt,+kvm_pv_eoi,hv_spinlocks=0x1fff,hv_vapic,hv_time,hv_reset,hv_vpindex,hv_runtime,hv_relaxed,hv_synic,hv_stimer,enforce' -m 16384 -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1e' -device 'pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1f' -device 'vmgenid,guid=c8e06ffe-b515-43f0-9495-f98d14149941' -device 'piix3-usb-uhci,id=uhci,bus=pci.0,addr=0x1.0x2' -device 'usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=uhci.0,port=1' -device 'VGA,id=vga,bus=pci.0,addr=0x2' -chardev 'socket,path=/var/run/qemu-server/534.qga,server,nowait,id=qga0' -device 'virtio-serial,id=qga0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x8' -device 'virtserialport,chardev=qga0,name=org.qemu.guest_agent.0' -device 'virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x3' -iscsi 'initiator-name=iqn.1993-08.org.debian:01:c59960939514' -drive 'file=rbd:ceph_vm/vm-534-disk-0:conf=/etc/pve/ceph.conf,if=none,id=drive-virtio0,cache=writeback,format=raw,aio=threads,detect-zeroes=on' -device 'virtio-blk-pci,drive=drive-virtio0,id=virtio0,bus=pci.0,addr=0xa,bootindex=100' -netdev 'type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap534i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on' -device 'virtio-net-pci,mac=02:1D:5D:FC:80:FC,netdev=net0,bus=pci.0,addr=0x12,id=net0,bootindex=300' -rtc 'driftfix=slew,base=localtime' -machine 'type=pc-i440fx-3.0' -global 'kvm-pit.lost_tick_policy=discard' -loadstate 'rbd:ceph_vm/vm-534-state-suspend-2019-07-09:conf=/etc/pve/ceph.conf'' failed: got timeout

4. dcsapak

dcsapak Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

the default timeout for the start is 30 seconds normally and 300 second if hugepages are on or we resume from a suspended state, but it seems it takes more than 5 minutes to load the 32GB state from ceph in your case...
    maybe we should make the timeout configurable...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. holr

holr New Member

Thank you for the suggestion! Is there anywhere I can manually change the timeout, just to try it? In a config file or something on the system?

update - I was able to use "pvesm free ceph_vm:vm-534-state-suspend-2019-07-09" (which I got from vmstate in the 534.conf file) to erase the hibernation file as you suggested. After removing the lock state and the vmstate entries from the corresponding conf file, the button changed from resume to start, and the VM started up ok - thanks for the tip!

#5 holr, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice