Removed Local-lvm by mistake please help!

mantis64

Sep 27, 2024
Ok so I'm new to all this and am a newbie. I had been playing around with Proxmox on a machine and was quite happy and created some CTs.

Then I made another server and added them both to a cluster.

I wanted to move my CTs to the new machine, however on the new machine it had 'local-lvm' with a question mark to it, so I looked in the GUI and removed what I thought was the problem LVM however I see that I've actually removed my 'local-lvm' on my old machine.
Now I cannot backup, migrate or clone any of the CT's as it says 'local-lvm' does not exist.

There are some CTs running and the data seems to be there, however on the CTs that I had stopped, they can no longer start as it says 'local-lvm' does not exist.

Please can you help, I'm a complete newbie but can type commands in the shell

ok for anyone else who did what I did, I managed to fix it by doing the following:

1. Check the LVM Configuration

First, confirm whether the Logical Volume (LV) is still available on the system.

Run the following commands on your Proxmox host to check the current status of the Volume Group (VG) and Logical Volume (LV):

# List all Volume Groups
vgscan

# List all Logical Volumes
lvscan

2. Recreate the Configuration (if needed)

If the logical volume is still present but the configuration is missing in Proxmox, you can try recreating the storage configuration.

1. Open /etc/pve/storage.cfg for editing:
nano /etc/pve/storage.cfg

3. Add an Entry for local-lvm
lvm: local-lvm
vgname pve
content rootdir,images

4. Save the Configuration

After adding this to the file, save it:
  • Press Ctrl + O to save.
  • Press Enter to confirm.
  • Press Ctrl + X to exit.

Reactions: waltar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!