Remote Virt-Manager Connection Errors

Jon Irish

Aug 1, 2018
I have ProxMox 5.2 running on a separate server than my iMac. I can ssh into from my iMac with no errors. I then installed Virt-Manager on it and set the connection parameters to:

Hypervisor: QEMU/KVM
Connect to remote host "checked"
Mehod: SSH
Username: username
Hostname: IP Address of ProxMox Server
Generated URI: qemu+ssh://root@192.168.X.X/system

When I click connect, I am prompted for the password which I enter, and then I get:

Unable to connect to libvirt qemu+ssh://root@192.168.X.X/system.

internal error: received hangup event on socket

Verify that the 'libvirtd' daemon is running on the remote host.

Libvirt URI is: qemu+ssh://root@192.168.X.X/system

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/Cellar/virt-manager/1.5.1/libexec/share/virt-manager/virtManager/connection.py", line 1036, in _do_open
self._backend.open(self._do_creds_password)
File "/usr/local/Cellar/virt-manager/1.5.1/libexec/share/virt-manager/virtinst/connection.py", line 144, in open
open_flags)
File "/usr/local/Cellar/virt-manager/1.5.1/libexec/lib/python2.7/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 104, in openAuth
if ret is None:raise libvirtError('virConnectOpenAuth() failed')
libvirtError: internal error: received hangup event on socket

Any ideas why ssh connections work, but the virt-manger ssh connection does not?

Jon

proxmox does not use libvirt, so it wont work that way

yes, see the api :
https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_VE_API

you probably want to look at the api call:

/nodes/{nodename}/qemu/{vmid}/spiceproxy

also an interesting link: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/SPICE

Thanks for the info... I actually found the last link just as your reply came in ;-) Gota say I am loving ProxMox so far. I wish I new about this a long time ago. On a different note, has there ever been talk of offering special subscription pricing to individual users that use ProxMox to build labs for educational purposes? I don't mean schools, but individuals that do this to better themselves for their daily jobs?

On a different note, has there ever been talk of offering special subscription pricing to individual users that use ProxMox to build labs for educational purposes? I don't mean schools, but individuals that do this to better themselves for their daily jobs?
if the community subscription is too expensive, just use it without a subscription, proxmox ve is agpl and is not feature restricted without a subscription

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!