Reinstalling PVE

giovannik

Feb 7, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have one PVE host currently running ZFS. Due to some problems I'd like to move back to LVM and hardware RAID. For this to work, I need to create a new RAID set for the VM storage. The RAID controller will be replaced with a newer one (H310P > H700). Of course this will take considerable time and means that my clients will be offline.

My idea is to add a second PVE and add it to the cluster, (live) migrate the VM's to the temporary node. This node will run LVM and when maintenance is done on the main PVE, I would (live) migrate them all back, start all VM's again and remove the second node from the cluster. Does it work like this: zfs > lvm ?

What would be the best way to reinstall/reconfigure VM storage, with the least amount of downtime for my clients? I do not have a lot of money to spend for hardware right now, I made the wrong decisions unfortunately and now I have to fix it.

Thanks in advance!

Giovanni

Last edited:
Hi,
there are one problem with this approach.
You must use the command line for migration, because you switch the storage and use local storage (--targetstorage <string> --with-local-disks).
This is not the problem, but you loose the quorum when you reinstall the first node. So you need an third node (a small one, like an Rasp.pi).

Udo

Hello Udo,

I might not have to reinstall PVE if my OS RAID would work fine on the new controller.
The VM storage is on a different RAID10.

In that case, I would only need to migrate by CLI?

Giovanni

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!