Reinstall proxmox without format

eth

Feb 24, 2016
Is it possible to reinstall proxmox from scratch but keep LVM partitions untouched?
I want only to do a clean reinstall into /dev/pve/root, but do not alter (format or change size) of other logical volumes (/dev/pve/data for example). I have LXCs that I want to keep and import into the freshly installed proxmox.

Last edited:
i suppose you can manually install debian and install pve on top of it (see http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie)
i think you can manually configure the partition layout and install target in the debian installer and then configure the storage to point to the existing lvm vg.

or you could backup your containers to another disk and restore them after a reinstall

Install on another hard disk and then copy over the root and other folders you need.

When installing Proxmox, take a clonezilla image of each partition / lvm and you can then restore at will.
Hi,
but be carefully, because you have two VGs pve... but you can rename the VG of the fresh installed hdd first to avoid trouble.
You should be able to reinstall the boot-loader and such things if you go this way ;)

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!