[SOLVED] Reinstall Proxmox-Ceph Node after Crash

Fladi

Renowned Member
Feb 27, 2015
Hi all,

we had a major outage of our cluster consisting of 3 PVE Host which servers Containers and VMs. In addition there are 3 Proxmox based Ceph servers.
I was in the preperation to switch from running 4.4 to 5.x.

1. ceph 3 didn't come up after reboot. It turned out that the HBA controller with the boot disks is no longer available to the bios and thus can't be used as a boot device. It's not so the controller. This is running fine. Tried different controllers and no extra controller is viewable in the bios. I got around this with attaching the boot-disks to an sas-controller on board.

2. While working on 1) another ceph-node crashed. Ceph-1 had two sata-dom with the proxmox installation. Both seem to be damaged. Can't access them anymore.

So, Ceph-3 has booted with a lot of errors on zfs but is running. Ceph-Cluster is in the progress of healing and some VM are available again. But overall-state is still error (see image)

However I would like to get the Ceph-1 online again as soon as possible. I have an "unused" SSD in there which is configured as a part of a separate SSD-Pool. As this is empty I could use it as a system-disk and boot from it.

What would be the best way to reinstall Ceph-1? Install "normal" giving the same ip/id as before and joining cluster? Will ceph detect the osd on this machine again? Reinstall as "new" node?

Oh, what a weekend...

Thanks and best regards

Attachments

• ceph-health.png
    ceph-health.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 12
Mist, falsches Forum erwischt. Kann ein Mod das in das engl. verschieben?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!