Reinstall Cluster. How?

Nam Trần

Jun 29, 2016
Hey guys. I am new to Proxmox and virtualization and having some problems with clustering. I had Proxmox installed on and linked between 2 PCs, let's say 10.0.0.17 and 10.0.0.19. Then I decided to delete a node, 10.0.0.19, but forgot to turn off that PC before executing the remove command. When I ran pvecm status, only the node name was cleared, there was nothing changed. I think that reinstalling cluster is the only way to solve this problem but don't know how to do that. Any help?

Just insert the Proxmox VE cd and reinstall. If you need VMs, backup them to some storage outside and restore them later.

I wonder if it is the only solution? Reinstalling Proxmox is easy but I have to do it in spare time when noone works on the VMs.

Of course there are other options, but they're harder, take more time and more can go wrong.

Read about the Proxmox VE cluster infrastructure, the involved commands, the involved technologies and maybe read the source code of Proxmox VE.

There is another more critical issue that I cannot backup the running VMs any longer. The vzdump always failed because the VMs are locked. Even qm unlock command does not work! What should I do?

if i understood you correctly, you created a cluster and one of the nodes is offline,
in this case, the cluster has no quorum and can not execute any commands which change the configurations of virtual machines (including removing a lock)
so you either have to bring up the second node, or set temporarily
Code:
pvecm expected 1

so you can backup again
then you can follow the guide here

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_file_system_(pmxcfs)#Recovery

to remove your cluster configuration

Reactions: Nam Trần
Dear dcsapak,

I wish you could feel how much appreciate your help I am. I have been looking for a way to remove the current cluster configuration for a long time. By the way, I did solve the backup problem by hard-reboot the PC but the cluster problem haven't been solved even when I excecute the command pvecm expected 1. I wonder if I remove the cluster configuration, will I able to create/join a cluster after that? I have read somewhere that create/join must be done before creating any VM!

Thanks.

if i understood you correctly, you created a cluster and one of the nodes is offline,
in this case, the cluster has no quorum and can not execute any commands which change the configurations of virtual machines (including removing a lock)
so you either have to bring up the second node, or set temporarily
Code:
pvecm expected 1

so you can backup again
then you can follow the guide here

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Proxmox_Cluster_file_system_(pmxcfs)#Recovery

to remove your cluster configuration

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!