Recovering dead server VMs

finlaydag33k

Apr 16, 2015
Hii there,
today, my main server decided to dicided to just die out of nowhere.
I have a 2 node cluster running over here so one of them died.
how do I put the VMs that where on the dead server on the server that's still alive???

I'm sorry if my explanation and/or typing is utter garbage, I'm writing this in extreme stress... (not getting the server running by wednesday, means I fail my school exams...

if the vm files are local, you can copy /var/lib/vz/images/VMID/... to the first node

and on first node, move vm config file from /etc/pve/nodes/NODE2/qemu-server/* to /etc/pve/nodes/NODE1/qemu-server/*

(and maybe change corosync config to have quorum with 1 node, to be able to do change in /etc/pve)

the VMs are on a NFS share(luckily)

but how do I change the corosync config to have quorum with 1 node?

managed to get the quorums working, now I try to copy the confis, but I get error: `cp: cannot create regular file `/etc/pve/nodes/kasparov/qemu-server/109.conf`: File Exists`

you can´t copy config files here. move it.

Ah okay, did that, and now it works.
unfortunately, it seems that the VMs that where on the dead server all where on the local drive T_T (probably one of my server admins who tought that was a good idea :\ )

thanks for the help, I'm going to look for a way to recover the data

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!